Advice on how to become a better / safe diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your plan seems reasonable. Diving in a lake with no current and poor visibility seems a long way off from diving in brisk current, in blue water at 100 feet.

If started looking into that GUE stuff. It looks very promising. Their holistic approach to diving is very appealing to me. Even the basic recreational dive training covers more fields than any other entry level certification.

From what I’ve read so far, being a good diver starts with good buoyancy/trim and being compfortable in the water, as well as good dive planing and underwater (buddy) communication.

I will definitely use that as a training guideline, for my next diving sessions.

Your plan seems reasonable. Diving in a lake with no current and poor visibility seems a long way off from diving in brisk current, in blue water at 100 feet.

That’s true. That’s why we favored Egypt / Red Sea over the Canary islands/Atlantic. Since the diving spots at the shore have only light / no current and good visibility. Even tough the Canary Islands offer more options except from diving.

And we will stay within the 60ft OWD limit of course.

The best thing that I did after my basic O/W was to join a local dive club. This introduced me to a bunch of experienced divers and opportunities to go out on more local dives. I learned a ton from watching the more experienced divers in the group. Watch them, talk to them.
Importantly, keep diving within your limits. There were dives that I was invited to go on that I did not feel I was ready for. Declining those dives is never a bad thing to do. Those dive sites will still be there once you feel you are ready for them.
Finding mentors and diving with them often was the best thing I did as a new diver.

I would hesitate to recommend that a brand new ow diver engage in training dives in 3 ft of visibility in locations where there are entanglement hazards. I would suggest diving as much as possibly in easy conditions, similar to the cert dives and try to do it with a good buddy.

If his ultimate goal is to dive in clear water, then I see little need to crawl around in 3 ft vis where buddy separation and entanglements are quite possible.

if you can dive those conditions, clear water locations easy

And if the diver gets tangled in synthetic spider wire, drops his knife, looses his buddy- kicks the bottom up and can’t remove his bc and swim to the surface... then what? I think dives should progress slowly.

I got a little caught in that stuff last weekend and decided I would try wrapping it on my glove and breaking it. It
Is such small diameter, I felt like my skin would be cut right through a glove before it would break. I cut it with a knife.

And if the diver gets tangled in synthetic spider wire, drops his knife, looses his buddy- kicks the bottom up and can’t remove his bc and swim to the surface... then what? I think dives should progress slowly.

I got a little caught in that stuff last weekend and decided I would try wrapping it on my glove and breaking it. It
Is such small diameter, I felt like my skin would be cut right through a glove before it would break. I cut it with a knife.
These are all valid points, but realistically how likely is that scenario to occur? You got entangled and didn't drop your knife, right? Is an inexperienced diver more likely to drop their cutting tool?

There are risks associated with every activity. Each individual must weigh the overall risks of the activity, the specific risks associated with doing that activity in that specific location, their skill and training and experience, and their comfort level. If a diver does not feel comfortable diving in low-visability conditions then I would never suggest or prod that person to do such a dive. But for me, my options were to wait until I could travel to warm, tropical waters to dive or to start diving locally at the nearby low-visability lake. I chose the latter and felt completely comfortable doing so. If others do as well, more power to them. Go slow, maintain buddy contact, remain calm, and dive on.

I agree with the general consensus. The fact that you're concerned about these things shows you really take diving seriously and have a passion for it. That's a good thing! I'd say don't put too much pressure on yourself to be the best diver in the water right off the bat. It's going to take you many, many dives to perfect your craft. And I think that's sort of the point of things like the AOW course. Yes it introduces you to several different types of dives (night, deep, navigation, etc.) but it's also just getting you out there diving. Academically, the AOW course isn't too much different from the OW course. It might go in depth a little further on certain topics, but essentially it's still just an OW course.

My advice is dive as often as you possibly can. That's how you will hone in your skills, perfect your buoyancy, and find your own tricks and techniques that will ultimately leave you feel more calm, comfortable, and confident in the water. When you are those things, your air consumption will be better and you'll find yourself able to spend more time underwater because your breathing will be more relaxed and controlled. And yes, while diving in an area where you are subject to entanglements, low vis, etc. can be risky, it's not a horrible idea because it forces you to recognize those possibilities and formulate a plan of self-rescue. That is actually one of the key point of the Rescue Diver course. Not so much focused on rescuing other divers, but being more aware of your surroundings and knowing how to safely and efficiently rescue yourself in an emergency incident. I actually just completed both the NASE Rescue and NAUI Advanced Rescue courses at the end of June myself and to date that's been the best learning experience I've had with diving so far. And an entanglement was part of it. Remember the first and most important rule of diving....Always Be Breathing. And don't panic.

If you feel comfortable diving in low visibility, you won't get any better practice at navigation than diving where you can't see very well. For instance....when I did my OW class (and also my AOW) visibility at the lake was about 3 ft. Only about 10 during AOW, so I was forced to learn how to deal with it and learn how to use my compass to find my way around underwater. Am I great at it? Probably not like I should be, but better than if I'd learned in the Caribbean where you typically have 150'+ visibility like my wife did during her AOW. "Hey see that reef formation? Swim to it." I'm exaggerating of course but you get the point.

I digress.....I've gotten long-winded and probably bored you to tears. Bottom line is....dive as much and as often as you can. The more you do, the more comfortable you become and the more second nature diving will seem. Neutral buoyancy, good air consumption, etc. will come. Just get out there, get wet, blow some bubbles, and feel fortunate that you have this amazing opportunity!

When I asked this same question about "how to become a better, safer diver," the resounding chorus on SB said: "take GUE Fundamentals." Best decision I ever made.

When I asked this same question about "how to become a better, safer diver," the resounding chorus on SB said: "take GUE Fundamentals." Best decision I ever made.

Did you have a certain solid diving experience before you took the GUE Fundamentals? I am basically just out of PADI OWD class. I could probably start all over with GUE Recreational 1, since I am not even close to that kind of skill/knowledge they teach you there.

I think it’s probably best to talk to an GUE instructor to get more information.

Do you switched your gear to a complete DIR equipment/ setup after GUE Fundamentals?

I don’t have much equipment right now. And typical rental equipment on holiday dives does probably not comply to DIR standards.

Back
Top Bottom