Advice on how to become a better / safe diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you have a certain solid diving experience before you took the GUE Fundamentals? I am basically just out of PADI OWD class. I could probably start all over with GUE Recreational 1, since I am not even close to that kind of skill/knowledge they teach you there.

I think it’s probably best to talk to an GUE instructor to get more information.

Do you switched your gear to a complete DIR equipment/ setup after GUE Fundamentals?

I don’t have much equipment right now. And typical rental equipment on holiday dives does probably not comply to DIR standards.

Yes, talk to an instructor. My Fundies class report reveals all: GUE Fundamentals (Rec) report (Part I)

@Lorenzoid

I really enjoyed reading your report on the GUE Fundamentals. Pool sessions during lunch break is some serious commitment.

First and foremost. Thank you very much guys for all the valuable input.

I just want to give you guys a quick update on my progress as well as the next steps.

Since my OWD I did only one dive with my buddy in a local lake. The sight was very limited 1M/3ft and I had a hard time getting my bouyancy without any reference point. I experienced some vertigo at some point but I mananged to keep diving. We got separated once, due to bad bouyancy. Waiting at the surface was quite an an uncomfortable experience.

Also I found a dive club close by that offers training in a pool as well as a local lake we did not manage do get another dive before our trip to Egypt.

We were fairly nervous prior to our first check dive with the guided group right from the shore. Diving turned out to be very easy compared to local conditions. Visibility was around 25-30m. Bouyancy control was much much easier. There’s is still a lot room for improvement. Since I use my lungs quite a lot for managing my buoyancy.

We did 9 dives in total including some full day trips. Diving in Egypt was really a great experience even tough we did not see any big fish.

Tomorrow we will attend our first pool training with the dive club. Working out buoyancy and trim. I am really looking forward to it.

I am considering doing an PADI or SSI AOWD before our trip to the Maledives next March.

Great. Congratulations on your success.

Now that you are a diver how about you go and check out your lake again
and see how differently you tackle it and how your perspective has changed.

There is no substitute for just going out and diving.

My first year I did a couple of things to help with areas I was concerned about. One example, I spent the better part of 2 hours one afternoon sitting on the bottom of a neighbor's pool doing nothing but flooding and clearing or removing and replacing my mask. That pretty much relegated my mask concerns to the level of minor nuisance. As a second example, I went off of a friend's dock on a lake where the silt was as deep as your arm. While holding a piling, I kicked up as much silt as I could so I could understand what it was like to have visibility go to zero. Being prepared for it made it much less scary and easier to deal with it when it happened on a "real" dive.

Figure out what you are least comfortable with and find safe controlled ways to get right in the middle of it. Best way to get over your fears IMO.

But mostly just dive when / wherever you can. The more you dive the more comfortable you get.
Sitting on the bottom of the pool? When will you sit while diving?

Sitting on the bottom of the pool? When will you sit while diving?
LOL.

The initial goal was to get used to the feeling of a flooded mask, It didn't matter if I was siting, standing, or dancing on my head. Once I got past the discomfort I was good. Once I had the mechanics and the stress factor dealt with I moved to practicing the skill on my actual dives. I am quite comfortable clearing and / or removing and replacing my mask in the water column. The couple of hours spent sitting in the bottom of the pool saved a whole lot of angst / stress in less controlled environments.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working on a skill in this manner. Everyone is different in terms of what they have to deal with and what works for them. This worked for me, and although it is clear that you don't agree with the approach that does not invalidate it.

Dive and let dive.

Looks like you have the right mindset to me, if you have a like minded dive buddy to practice with, then even better. If it's a possibility, try to get enrolled in a GUE fundamentals class. I think you'll find everything you're looking for.
As far as reading - Beginning with the end in mind is pretty great for starting out.
Beginning With the End in Mind - the Fundamentals of Recreational Diving - PDF | Global Underwater Explorers

good luck :)
That looks a great class. Just finishing last mods and the installation of new rack and tonneau cover on the truck and I'll have the time for the diving classes. Gonna get this one soon.

Did you have a certain solid diving experience before you took the GUE Fundamentals? I am basically just out of PADI OWD class. I could probably start all over with GUE Recreational 1, since I am not even close to that kind of skill/knowledge they teach you there.

I think it’s probably best to talk to an GUE instructor to get more information.

Do you switched your gear to a complete DIR equipment/ setup after GUE Fundamentals?

I don’t have much equipment right now. And typical rental equipment on holiday dives does probably not comply to DIR standards.
I took GUE Fundamentals with only 26 dives. It’s better to take it sooner rather than later before you develop bad habits.

You will get as much out of it as what you put in. Even if you don’t pass, you will learn a lot from it.
Try your best.
Leave your ego at the door.
Be open to criticism. If you show a safe and well regarded approach to diving in general, the instructor will put more emphasis on you passing.

Have fun and good luck.

All good advice. One thing that Mrs. Flush and I do on every dive is during our dive planning we decide on some skill that we are going to work on at the end of our dive while we are at our safety stop. It doesn't have to be anything big. Sometimes it is just something as small as breathing from our octos,. Other times it is gear/mask removal and replacement. My point is use that time to do something that either you haven't done much of or makes you a little uncomfortable.

By no means am I an "experienced" diver, but I do have some experiences :)... My daughter and I got certified about a year ago and our typical dives have been drift dives w/good vis. We have dived a few times with vis 6-10' and also all the way down to <1'. As it relates to low vis, we definitely became much better buddies once we understood the risks of low vis and how quick you can loose your buddy. We were fortunate to not stray too far and never lost each other, never had to prematurely surface. But as we experienced more low visibility we better understood how to be better buddies and be even more vigilant on keeping an eye (or hand) on each other to ensure we stayed together.

So if you (and your friend) can become great buddies that is going to be great. We did some pool dives early on which helped with boyancy. It wasn't till somewhat recently where we worked on trim (weight location) that diving reached another level. All things are SOOOO much easier when you get your trim right!

I’ve just completed my OWD with my buddy. Now we’re planing a dive trip to the red sea in September.

I know that the OWD ist just a basic certification and you need to get some dives under your belt to get some experience.

But I am a bit concerned to go diving on my own (with my OWD buddy), because I think that I lack a some skills that are probably necessary/important to be safe. Especially dive planing, navigation as well as safety routines/drills. We did the no-air exercise quite a few times, but we where always on the bottom of the pool/lake and not bouyant.

Except from swimming pools, the only diving options in my area my are lakes which have a limited visibility, which does not make things easier.

Maybe I am too concerned right now, and should be a little more confident.

Most dive clubs around offer a pool session every two weeks, but it does not include any specific training. I came up with the following plan to improve my diving skills / knowledge.

1. Bouyancy and fin kick training in the pool

2. Practicing all the OWD drills while bouyant

3. Lake diving in shallow water (10m/30ft max)

4. Reading stuff about dive planning, especially air calculation, dive times, navigation, and how to react in emergency/critical situations.

I would be glad if you could give me any comments/advice on my training plan. Recommendations for good reads on point for are kindly appreciated.

Lake diving can be an excellent skill builder. I spend a lot of time in a local Quarry here ( Haigh Quarry ). The water is cold and the viz is total crap. I dont really enjoy diving there, but I also recognize that my skills have greatly increased in doing so. My compass skills have gotten crazy good, because its the only way to figure out where your going. Sticking with your buddy is paramount, because if you get more than 10 feet away, you wont be able to see him at all. And everything is just generally harder to do in cold water.

The other thing you can do. Talk to some local dive shops that offer DMC programs. Many dive shops will allow you to volunteer your time to help run their classes teaching the dive skills to students. I also do this. I spend a couple days a week drilling students on skills. So as part of this, of course my skills become better in the process. I get practice, and often free training on certain aspects of diving. In return, they get help running their classes. Its a win win for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom