Advice on regulators for new and upcoming scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Broskie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Whats up members of ScubaBoard,

I've been diving a few times on vacations (40' max certified mexico style) and snorkeled more hours then I can count. Recently I've decided to take my Padi OW with my wife for an upcoming trip to Cozumel. After our trip we plan on continuing to dive in our local PNW waters and while on vacations 2-3 times a year. I have always been the type when getting into a hobby to buy better quality items, then to buy cheap and move my way up. That being said I am also not the type to go buy the gold plated whatever just to say I have it.

I have been trolling the forums for little while and am looking to buy us good quality regulators that will fit our needs for PNW cold water diving but also will function great in warm destination waters. So far I was looking at the Atomic M1 and Scuba Pro S600. Are there other regulators that are better for our needs or are these the best for the money? Am I totally off and should be looking into something else? I appreciate the help and look forward to this great and exhilarating hobby.

I would actually avoid both of those for cold PNW diving, they are piston regulators which by nature have to be packed with grease during service to "seal" them, and while it does work quite well, it is an added expense at service and can be rather irritating to deal with. I would highly recommend going to a sealed diaphragm type for this type of diving and any diving in general actually, and there are a lot of brands out there to look into, Hog, Apeks, Dive Rite, Hollis, Poseidon, etc. Apeks are really the gold standard, but have a price tag to match, Hog are less of a value than they used to be, but still quality regulators on par price wise with Hollis and Dive Rite. As far as foreign service, with these regs you shouldn't need it, but Apeks will have the best dealer support, followed by Hollis, then Dive Rite, with Poseidon and Hog being difficult to find service for, pro to the Hogs is you can service them yourself if you are so inclined. Lots of good threads on regulator brands, but the important thing to note is that with the exception of Poseidon and the Hollis 500SE, most of them have similar features and perform about the same so it is comes down to which shop cuts you the best deal with the best service.

An S600 is the 2nd stage - typically paired with the Mk25 1st stage. So was that what you were considering? As mentioned above, a diaphragm reg. might be a better choice in your area. In the Scubapro line that's the Mk17/A700.
Cold water divers or those frequenting harsh environments will appreciate this perfectly matched pair. The A700 is a complete complement to the MK17, a high performing balanced diaphragm first stage engineered exactly for such conditions.
Or the Mk17/G260. The new(er) Mk21 also has better freeze protection than the Mk25 afaik but is still a piston regulator.

All cold water regulators also function well in tropical waters.

For around the same money - or even a little less - look at Aqualung's Legend line - specifically the Legend, Legend LX or Legend LX Supreme. The Twilight is also an option for your wife as it has a smaller 2nd stage. They're all optimized for cold water - the Supreme's even include a 2nd stage mouthpiece designed for it. The optimal cold water version in the goup is the Glacia - it has even more features designed for cold water (heat exchange) use. Nice thing about Aqualung is they have one of the larger world-wide dealer networks as well, as does ScubaPro. Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Displaying items by tag: aqua lung regulators.

Last edited:
The Atomic and Scubapro piston regulators work just fine here in Puget Sound and further north in the Salish Sea. Both brands are quite popular here, as are Apeks and HOG. The coldest water temp we ever see is about 42 degrees, which doesn't pose a risk of freezing the first stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well thank you all for the information, I going to spend some more time researching the different companies and who my LDS carries and services. Thank you all again and hope to meet some of you on local or abroad trips.

Scubapro make the best regulators. Atomic make better regulators.

You don't say how cold the water is, I use Atomic in 12 - 16 degree C water at depth and they work fine without the environmental packing.

A few general comments: 1) Many dive shops will steer you towards the most expensive regulators (S600/MK25, M1, XTX 200, Legend LX, etc.) while these are great regulators they are not significantly better than their midline regulators (G260/MK17, Z3, XTX 50 /DS4, Titan LX). The value is in the midline. 2) People have differing opinions and it is good to get a cross-section but you should also consider what local divers use. 3) If you are thinking about DIY service somewhere down the road then that could influence regulator selection. For example some of the smaller brands, Zeagle, Dive Rite, Hog, openly sell parts while the more major brands don't. You need to rely on eBay or knowing someone at a Dive Shop or ordering from abroad. Also some brands require special tools while others do not. 4) Is sidemount in your future? If so then you want second stages the you can swap the side the hose is on. 5) Don't be taken in by the old canard, you should buy the best, you get what you pay for, it is life support, or what is your life worth. The fact is no mainstream regulator maker sells junk, the risk is just too high. The low-end units (SP R195/MK2, AL Calypso) may even be more reliable because they are less complex. 6) Local vs Mail-Order, is another consideration. Sometimes you can save a bundle by purchasing online.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2015 at 02:32 PM ----------

You don't say how cold the water is, I use Atomic in 12 - 16 degree C water at depth and they work fine without the environmental packing.

Someone mentioned 42 F which is roughly 5-6 C.

Don't overlook the used market either. There are great regulators to be had that have hardly any use.

For the cost of a service you could have a like new regulator for a fraction of new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom