Afternoons / evenings (what should I do with my time?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And they would be passing along misinformation.
It's not that other areas of the world are unclean, necessarily, it's just that their roaming microbes are different ones from what we have here. We have a built up tolerance for ours but possibly not theirs.

Diving, Resting, Walking, Eating, Repeat... I love walking around back in the 'hood and just enjoying the neighborhood vibes. Lots of cantinas serve free snacks (botanas) when you order a beer. Also, if this is your first visit - get a Cozumel map to get familiar. I bet it won't be your last visit :)

Cancun & Riviera Maya Maps and Travel Guides

Last edited:
Here's a post from a few years ago.... I try and update it - divers, please feel free to comment!

Local friends introduced me to some cantinas this trip that welcome women and serve botanas or snacks. Order a cold beer (or soda) and you're in.

• El Fish on the corner of 8 North and 10.
  • Fisherman's Coop on 5 near the cemetery.
  • El Pioline on the corner of 3 South and 15.
  • Las Boyas just up the block on 3 from El Pioline.
  • El Gato Negro on 6 North near 20th.
  • Recuerdo is on the corner of 45 (or so) and Juarez, north side of the street.
  • Las Tortugas - (the one owned by Adrian's brother) is on 30th close to 21 South.
  • Chendos on 40 or 45 (cross street?)
  • La Jungla on 50th (cross street?)
If it says "familiar" on the front women are welcome. I was surprised at the number of local ladies I saw in these places... girlfriends going out to chat and have a beer. It's not just us shameless Americanas. :p

There are many, many others. Las Boyas and El Gato Negro had live bands. They are noisy and fun and make for some great people watching. Usually the snacks start around 1 or 2 and go till 5-ish. If there is a big sports event (i.e. soccer) these places can get jammed.

The botanas were welcome & intriguing. They included sliced cucumbers, mini sausages and other meats, refried beans & chips, conch ceviche, fish ceviche, spicy potatoes, nachos & salsa, chicken wings, a fish, green pea & mayo dish, papadzules pumpkin seed dip and once a plate of enchiladas. Served with toothpicks for a bite-sized bite. The more beer you order, the more food shows up. The bottles are usually left on the table for the final tally. At Gato Negro, a local group of men came in with a fish for the kitchen to cook. As they were sitting next to our table I asked them in my bad Spanish about their catch. They were happy with their good day, wanting to talk about it and ended up sharing their abundance with our table to the point I went home with a doggy bag!

Ccannon707,

Thanks that's a great list and a awesome way to check out the local neighborhood places. Years ago Danny from Kelly's took me around to a few of those places and we had a great time.

I'm in Coz 6/11-6/24 and it would be great to meet a few other divers and check out these local bars after diving one or two afternoons.

Anyone wana meet up?

It's not that other areas of the world are unclean, necessarily, it's just that their roaming microbes are different ones from what we have here. We have a built up tolerance for ours but possibly not theirs.
The worst Montezuma's revenge I ever had was when I got out of the Navy after 10 months in Japan and I returned to the USA for out processing. As the old Peto Bismal commercial once said 'USA, nice place to visit, but don't drink the water'. :confused:

Find a place on the beach and order a whole bunch of margaritas! Yes, you dive instructor told you not to drink and dive. The guy who taught me? Well, the first dives I did after getting certified with him was on a group trip to Coz. There were 15 of us. My dive "guru" got hammered every night.

I spend a goodly amount of my down time on Cozumel lying in a hammock with a beer just staring at the water. It's better than TV.

You've got the perfect dive trip down. I might be in the hammock next to you, but don't bother me...I'm just looking at the sunset with half closed eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom