Afternoons / evenings (what should I do with my time?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NayNay's Dad

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

Posted these questions at another board and someone suggested I try here.

I will be in San Miguel for a full week starting April 28, travelling by myself (a first for me). 2 dives each day (am / then lunch / pm), 10 dives total. Not sure what time I'll be back to my room, but I'm guessing early/late afternoon each day. I am estimating a few hours at the end of each day, not including a dinner somewhere. I'm looking for suggestions from you Cozumel vets as to what I should do with my time. I will be staying at the dive shop's guest rooms in town - about 5 minutes East of the cruise dock.

1) I would like to spend most afternoons at a more quiet beach somewhere - where I can get a couple of cervezas, read a book, just chill. Based on other posts I've read through, this would probably be one of the beach club places on the southwest side of the island, correct? Which one? Would I have enough time to make it to the East side and check out one of the beach / beach bars out there? Either way I go, I'm assuming I can just catch a cab to these places? (And if I use a cab, do I have to pay a cabbie to wait for me after I get there [some posts seem to suggest this], or can I just call a cab company when I'm ready to leave?). Worth it to rent a car in my situation?

2) Anything else you would recommend to check out given my timeframe each afternoon? I could envision a museum or historical site, or visit to a tequila . . . refinery / distillation place / whatever the term would be. :) Enough to see / do in San Miguel by just strolling around? [I do have one full day at the end of the week and will plan on heading over on a ferry to PDC area and jump in a cenote OR renting a car and driving around the island checking out various sites.]

3) I've looked at the restaurant list on Trip Advisor which I find to be hit or miss in other places I've visited. What are some favorites I should not miss for breakfast or dinner? Mostly I love authentic Mexican food (not the gringo versions). One night I would like to treat myself to a really good, even pricey meal.

Thanks for the time - sorry if this is a redundant post compared to all the other topics on the forum. And, hey, if you need a third wheel to tag along any night of April 28th through May 4th, let me know. :wink:

This is my first official dive trip after certification. I. AM. STOKED.

Do a search as there is an eat in Coz thread you can follow:)

Where is 5 minutes east of the cruise ship dock? Which dock? is it within walking distance of "real" downtown. That has a lot to do with suggestions you might get.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Where is 5 minutes east of the cruise ship dock? Which dock? is it within walking distance of "real" downtown. That has a lot to do with suggestions you might get.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Appears to be closer to the ferry pier, actually. Crossstreets are 5a Avenida Sur and Calle Dr Adolfo Rosado Salas. Not sure if that puts me near the "real" downtown or the false one.

Not adverse to walking or cabbing places, either.

I suggest cabbing around or renting a bicycle. I occasionally rent a scooter but will never "recommend" that to anyone - pretty dangerous. You are very close to the downtown area and tons of nice local restaurants. I've attached my restaurant list but there are sooooo many good places. Go to the small hole-in-the-wall places were the locals hang out for the best (& cheapest) food. A couple higher end places not to miss are Kinta, Kondessa, Guido's & Sal del Mar. Nice beach bars are Playa Corona, Sky Reef & maybe even Money Bar. They are just a few miles south of town. An east side visit is a must, Coconuts is a must stop and might as well stop at a couple of the other east side bars. You could cab this, rent a car for the day or join one of the east side (or island) bar hop tours. There is a an OK Tequila tour on the highway to the east side also. Also use Pesos for cab & food, much cheaper.

Attachments

• Cozumel Resturants.docx
    40.5 KB · Views: 77
We like to go to Punta Morena on the east side. But we only do that if we have rented a car. It is a fairly quiet beach with a nice restaurant and bar. lots of beach space, some hammocks, cabana's, little shops, etc. They have a decent snorkeling area also.

We like to go to Punta Morena on the east side. But we only do that if we have rented a car. It is a fairly quiet beach with a nice restaurant and bar. lots of beach space, some hammocks, cabana's, little shops, etc. They have a decent snorkeling area also.
You can cab it over there and they can call for a cab to take you back when you are done.

You are right in the heart of downtown (El Centro). Your closest beach club would be in The Bungalow Bar area just north of the airport road well within walking distance from your hotel. There are two or three beach bars there with some chairs and whatnot. Not much sand to speak of however. But they are pretty quiet on weekdays. Local families fill them up on weekend. For some sand, you'd need to head up a bit further north to the Playa Azul area. It's about a $10 US taxi ride from where you are staying. Lots of restaurant suggestions in this forum that you can peruse....everything from cheap and cheerful to muy caro (very expensive). I think if you want to get more authentic local food at local prices, you need to head back into town...at least as far as 15th Ave Sur but more like 30th. Look for places filled with local people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom