Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read this article awhile back and it impressed me.
http://www.neptunediveandski.com/breathing.htm

Then I went to Coz and saw some of these DM’s in action and it blew me away.

I would take an AL80 down and bring it back with 300 psi, They would take down a AL60 and come back with 1400 psi.

It blows my mind.

These guys don't really belong to the Mammalian family.:bfish:

Fish_Whisperer:
Okay: The not breathing that he talks about in that article: That's what I was trying to get across. NOT skip breathing. Thanks for this link!

I knew what you meant :wink:
It is a good article though.
I had to re-find the article. I have been looking for it for a few weeks now.

If you'd follow all the excellent tips that have been posted, you will improve your air usage. I had a consumption problem about 10 years ago & it drove me nuts.

I was always the first or second back to the boat when I dove Coz. The rest of the group always got an extra 5 - 10 minutes on me. I felt bad about the whole deal.

One of my chief antagonists was my wife. We would get back to the boat, I'd have 5 (500 lbs) and my wife would have 11. She'd make sure to ask so everybody else on the boat could hear, too.

And I had a lot of help, most of it unsolicited.

"You need to relax"
"Breathe slowly"
"Don't be in such a hurry"
"You've got to learn to contol your bouancy"

I was doing all that stuff and the suggestion that I wasn't ticked me off, but what could I say, I was the air hog?!

Then, one day my reg broke getting into the boat. The Dive op rented me a brandy new reg while mine was getting fixed. And my consumption problem was fixed.

When my wife & I did the "underwater hand hula" she signaled that she had 11, I had 13! I was back on the boat send to last with 7. It wasn't me, it was my gear.

You need a top quality reg, if you've got secondary or old gear, it might be the cause of your trouble. PM me and I'll tell ya the brand that helped me. & help all fellow hogs in the future, but privately. Nobody likes to be told that they are a spastic geek, even if they are.

When my wife & I did the "underwater hand hula" she signaled that she had 11, I had 13! I was back on the boat send to last with 7. It wasn't me, it was my gear.
:lol:
Love it...!

Ya liked the "hula" comment, eh Don?

Lava had a great post & a real nice link, there. The one comment is so true. You can be the best recreational diver you can, & still be an air hog. That is, compared to these DM's and people who do it for a living, you will never have the bouyancy control and air consumption of the pros.

So, do the best ya can and try not to hoover, but after that, fuggitaboutit & dig on your dive.

I think I personally saw the biggest hoover artist of my dive career on my last trip to Coz. This was a pretty heavy guy who seems like he was just starting diving. We were just starting Santa Rosa when the DM told me to go on with the group. I made the "what's up" shrug & the DM just pointed up. He had to take this guy back to the boat, he was about out of air. My gauge said 2700! This boy had emptied his tank faster than you could by opening the valve.

Everybody worked with the guy over the week (He bounced from boat to boat, ya know) and he improved quite a lot, but still was over consuming.

Another thing. This guy was always grumpy about the whole deal. He wanted 120's or something all the time and moaned that the dive op didn't have the right stuff for him.

Hey, shaddup if you suck too much air. Get back to the boat early and hand out candy or something useful. Nobody wants to hear an airhog complain, ya know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom