Air integrated or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I began diving with a computer (around 2004 or so), I started using an AI computer. First computer was a console style Oceanic Pro Plus 2. Great computer, interface was easy to use, and I liked the fact that the computer would calculate my dive time remaining by whatever was the limiting factor, whether that was a deco limit, or remaining gas. Can't get that without AI. I've since gone hoseless with an Oceanic VT4.1. I like this one even better. I like how streamlined (2 hoses, as I use an Octo Z) my set is. I also like that all the information I need is right on my wrist, though with the PP2, I had it clipped with a retractor, so it was always where I put it. The wrist mount just frees my hand.

I'm not at all familiar with the two Subgear, but I did look them up on LP. Looks like only the XPH is air integrated. The XP 10 2 looks to be a puck style computer mounted in a console with an SPG. The XPH will definitely shrink the size of the console, and add the benefits of the AI as already mentioned.

Lynne and I have disagreed enough today, but yes I'd have no problem going to a wired AI computer, perfectly reliable. That said I have yet to find one that I actually like, so there is that to consider....

two thoughts.
<snip>... Remember, not too many years ago SPG's didn't exist and the use of J-valves with a spring telling you there was a few hundred PSI left was the only way you knew you were low on gas, assuming it worked properly and the lever hadn't been moved inadvertently during the dive.

I had to laugh at that- back in those days I could tell pretty accurately how much air I had left (it was only air then) by how hard it was to suck on my unbalanced regulator.:wink: Fortunately modern gear is much better.

A decent electronic sensor will be more accurate than an analog gauge, and no more likely to fail. For trips, a backup is wise for either. Since you&#8217;re not talking about hoseless transmitters, the hoses and O-rings will be the weak link for either electronic or mechanical gauges. Including gas info with your computer gives you more data in one place, and an easy way to log gas consumption more accurately. One concern might be that if your hose or O-ring fail, and that is how your computer is attached, you want to be able to fix that to keep being able to use your computer. Our Cobalt is fine diving without the HP hose, but that may not be true for all AI computers.

A lot of people posting on SB are doing more advanced diving, and their considerations re. backups may wisely be somewhat different than a casual recreational diver.

-Ron

agreed. For regular recreational boat diving I know my SAC well enough to come out within 200 PSI without looking at my SPG. I think the concept of J-valves is brilliant, execution not so much, but for recreational ocean diving they're perfect. J valve with a double hose regulator, no BC/wing with an LP72? Brilliant

I have no problem for dives up to about 100ft within NDL's, especially good conditions *i.e. reef b!tch type diving* to be done on wireless AI computers without backup SPG's. I think the extra SPG is a waste and defeats most of the point of that computer. You're not doing anything where a transmitter error is going to be the difference in you being able to ascend normally and complete a full safety stop, and not have to do a CESA. IF however you want to be able to continue the dive with a transmitter failure then you need an SPG and in that case having wireless AI is pointless except for sh!ts and giggles.

For wired AI, I love the concept, have no issues with it at all, there just isn't a computer out there that I would ever use whether it had AI or not, so there's that. For reference my singles rig is single tank sidemount and only uses a button gauge...

The most common cause of dive accidents is running low or out of air, so I believe AI, for open water water diving, makes for safety.

You see the pressure display every time you glance at your computer and it does air time calculations on the fly. Especially for deeper diving it's easy to overstay your air supply.

Since getting my Galileo a few years ago I would not buy a non AI computer. Yes I have a small analog SPG on the second HP port as backup and so I can see the tank pressure without turning on the wrist unit.

AI is not useful in overhead environments and the transmitter is a potential failure point if it gets banged, but for open water what's there not to like?

..... A decent electronic sensor will be more accurate than an analog gauge, and no more likely to fail. ...... the hoses and O-rings will be the weak link for either electronic or mechanical gauges. Including gas info with your computer gives you more data in one place, and an easy way to log gas consumption more accurately. ......
I was about to say this too :D

Thanks everyone. I just ordered my new XP-H!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom