air travel with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j.doe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys

I am headed out to Roatan this winter.
I have had a number of bad experiances with the way that various airlines abuse bags etc... I am also worried a little about theft given that I have heard reports that gear commonly walks off.

I am tempted to stuff all the good stuff, regs, bc, com etc.. in my carry on, and let the clothes get stowed in the plane. Of course I would have to pull the dive knife etc.... but for the most part I think that the carry on should work. Also by the way that I figure it, I only need dive gear and the clothes on my back:D

What are other peoples experiances with this? Are the airlines ok with this? And do you use a duffle? unmarked bag? hard sided case?

Thanks for the feedback

Two words: Dive Caddy

All of your gear in one place and with you on the plane. (Unless the airline employees throw a fit) I took mine to Bonaire in February and didn't have any issues.:)

My wife and I went to Roatan a month ago and we put all of our gear in regular wheeled carry-on bags, with a small hand-carried gym bag for other stuff. We took complete gear sets including shorty wetsuits (never used) and lights. We took a few clothes and other necessities, and it worked well. You don't need to pack clean clothes for a week; you can always buy a T-shirt or two when you get there.

The bags were a little heavy (40+ lbs) to lift up into the overhead compartments because of the SS backplates and lights, and the TSA folks were more than a little curious about the bags and wanted to inspect them.

Other than weight and TSA it worked great: We never worried about bag abuse or theft or long waits at baggage claim or missed connections.

Next time we do this I want to lighten our load by getting AL backplates or travel rigs, and maybe taking fewer lights or buying batteries at the destination.

Good luck,

I always carry-on regs, dive computers, mask, laptop, and camera + UW housing. Usually, I'll check everything else. In the past, I have slipped my BP/W in my carry-on without issue. When packing, I make sure that I'll still be able to enjoy my dive vacation if the checked luggage were lost or stolen.

I haven't had any problems transporting a pair of EMT-style shears in my carry-on. Leave the knife at home.

Personally, I avoid dive-specific luggage that advertises "expensive dive gear inside."

Hey guys

I am headed out to Roatan this winter.
I have had a number of bad experiances with the way that various airlines abuse bags etc... I am also worried a little about theft given that I have heard reports that gear commonly walks off.

I am tempted to stuff all the good stuff, regs, bc, com etc.. in my carry on, and let the clothes get stowed in the plane. Of course I would have to pull the dive knife etc.... but for the most part I think that the carry on should work. Also by the way that I figure it, I only need dive gear and the clothes on my back:D

What are other peoples experiances with this? Are the airlines ok with this? And do you use a duffle? unmarked bag? hard sided case?

Thanks for the feedback

I keep the expensive stuff (regulator and dive computer) with me on a carry on. I check in the mask, fins, booties and bcd in a dive bag although personally I don't trust any airline with my gear. I usually say a prayer that that the gear gets there when I do. LOL. If you have a dive knife that has to get checked in obviously.

I fit everything but my fins and sharp diving tools in a sampsonite carry on. No issues and it came under the weight limits. Moved my fins to checked bag with my wetsuit and everything was cool.

So far I've just checked everything in my check luggage. If I'm already planning to dive, I will rent gear if my stuff doesn't make it. That said, I bought used gear fairly cheaply. If I had $3k in my reg and computer I'd be more likely to stick it in my carry on luggage, but might still check it, depending upon what else I needed to carry. I do carry on my SLR though and would do the same if I had an expensive dive camera as well.

Make sure you carry-on items you *need* to dive comfortably. What and how much that is is very individual.

However, don't make the mistake a guest at Little Cayman made: packing your prescription mask in the checked luggage. Apparently he couldn't dive without, and was complaining to the hotel staff about missing the morning dives when his luggage was delayed.

I'd be upset too, but then I'd have packed that mask in my carry-on :)

This year I packed in carry-on regs, mask, computer, AL Freedom backplate, camera and laptop. I love my backplate and have rented masks that didn't fit = leaks, so I prefer to avoid that. I also dive with a long hose reg setup and much prefer that. I can live with whatever paddle fin and shorty 3 mil the dive OP rents.

YMMV

Henrik

Recreational dive gear comes on carry on. Our harnesses fit into a carry-on wheelie suitcase, together with dive computers wrapped in a change of underwear. My fiance carries a messenger's bag with masks, fins and regulators. It takes some planning, but once you've done it a few times, it's easy. Clothes and toiletries come as checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom