Air2 with a BP & Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robpiat

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to use an Air2 style secondary with a BP & W?

I have learned on a knighthawk BCD and looking for something less bulky for travel. I like simple things but when I dive I am normally toting fishing stuff etc and looking for a sturdy but compact no frills BCD replacement. I've looked at some of the travel BCDs but I think I would be happier with a BP&W.

On the BP&W, what do you think of the more elaborate harnesses? Are they more comfortable for warm water diving. I know the DIR people swear by simple webbing but I dive without a wetsuit 99% of the time.

It should be possible to - can't see any reason it wouldn't as the corrugated hose will be in approximately the same position.

With regards to the harness, personally I would try it with a single piece harness - if you need to you can pick the pads up for very little cost but in general I don't think they are needed unless you are schlepping your gear for a large distance. The more elaborate harnesses are solutions waiting for a problem to my mind

I have learned on a knighthawk BCD and looking for something less bulky for travel. I like simple things but when I dive I am normally toting fishing stuff etc and looking for a sturdy but compact no frills BCD replacement. I've looked at some of the travel BCDs but I think I would be happier with a BP&W.

On the BP&W, what do you think of the more elaborate harnesses? Are they more comfortable for warm water diving. I know the DIR people swear by simple webbing but I dive without a wetsuit 99% of the time.

A BP&W looks uncomfortable. That's a pre purchase perception. That's what sells "comfort harnesses.

Single Piece harnesses are not uncomfortable even with little to no exposure protection. That's the post purchase reality.

BTW, are all the downsides of a combo octo inflator really worth the massive benefits of one fewer LP hose?

Tobin

I have learned on a knighthawk BCD and looking for something less bulky for travel.

Take a look at the SP Litehawk. I just bought one after seeing one my buddy had on our last liveaboard. Very light weight, well made, no frills, and as usual, the SP quality is there. I have a Seahawk now and like it but eventually found I wasn't really using the pockets and such and the Litehawk is about half the weight. Got it with the AIR2 or 3 or whatever version it is now. Will be using it in Palau soon.

Yes, but most BP&Ws don't have shoulder dumps.

Typically people who are trained to use an Air2 are taught to conduct an air-sharing ascent using shoulder dumps, because otherwise the Air2 must be removed from the mouth while dumping air. While this is possible to do, it requires a greater degree of confidence in the water, and the diver must concentrate on exhaling despite the regulator being removed.

The list of people who have thought they would be happier with a BP&W, tried it, and switched back, is very short.

I was out last weekend with a BP&W and just a rasher. The 74 degree water was uncomfortable, at least on my second dive, but the BP&W was fine. I have a DIR style harness.

BTW, are all the downsides of a combo octo inflator really worth the massive benefits of one fewer LP hose?

Heh. I have an Air2 that I keep meaning to try someday but it always seems like I have more important things to do on my dives.

I have a Dive Rite Transplate with structured harness which I purchased after getting certified. Still use it in the pool and as backup very good experiences with it. Biggest difference was BP&W helps keep you much more horizontal in the water that jacket style. I like the set up but had some reason to upgrade - couldn't get enough lift to actually float the thing taken off my body on the surface with my 100 cu ft tank and my normal weights. Highly recommended.

I upgraded to a Halcyon Eclipse system after becoming a DM and joining the staff at my LDS and getting my shop discount. This is a single strap/web BC. It's a bit more annoying to adjust the straps but it's a great setup with the 40# wing. All the fittings are metal so you don't have to worry about breaking plastic pieces. If you need a lot of weight like me, a great feature is you can get a single tank adapter (4#) with a lead weight insert (6#) to add about 10 # of weight along your tank. It's a great platform for custom configuration, with a minimal starting configuration which is very clean. This set up will be a terrific platform if you think you might dive a lot and get into Tec diving.

While possible, don't get an Air2 - talk to anyone whose actually used one in an emergency, they'll tell you it's not worth it.

I have a Dive Rite Transplate with structured harness which I purchased after getting certified. Still use it in the pool and as backup very good experiences with it. Biggest difference was BP&W helps keep you much more horizontal in the water that jacket style. I like the set up but had some reason to upgrade - couldn't get enough lift to actually float the thing taken off my body on the surface with my 100 cu ft tank and my normal weights. Highly recommended.

I upgraded to a Halcyon Eclipse system after becoming a DM and joining the staff at my LDS and getting my shop discount. This is a single strap/web BC. It's a bit more annoying to adjust the straps but it's a great setup with the 40# wing. All the fittings are metal so you don't have to worry about breaking plastic pieces. If you need a lot of weight like me, a great feature is you can get a single tank adapter (4#) with a lead weight insert (6#) to add about 10 # of weight along your tank. It's a great platform for custom configuration, with a minimal starting configuration which is very clean. This set up will be a terrific platform if you think you might dive a lot and get into Tec diving.

While possible, don't get an Air2 - talk to anyone whose actually used one in an emergency, they'll tell you it's not worth it.
BTW you really don't need shoulder pads on the webbing or a pad on the backplate. If you buy a BP&W dive for a while without them and you'll never miss them. Save a bit of money here.

If you need a lot of weight like me, a great feature is you can get a single tank adapter (4#) with a lead weight insert (6#) to add about 10 # of weight along your tank.

Do you have a special STA? The standard STA with weight insert is a total of 6#. I just weighed mine yesterday and it is 1# for the STA and 5# for the weight.

Do you have a special STA? The standard STA with weight insert is a total of 6#. I just weighed mine yesterday and it is 1# for the STA and 5# for the weight.
Fuzzy memory I guess. Yes, the steel backplate and weighted STA should be about 12 # together.

Back
Top Bottom