Air2 with a BP & Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a ScubaPro Air2 on one of my BPW rigs. The shop i teach for has them on all their rental gear, so it's easier for me to demo and show students how to share air and so on -- the pool stuff does not have Air2 so they learn both types.

I do not think an Air2 is the ideal solution by any means, but it is not as bad as some internet warriors make it out to be. That said, I would prefer long hose and bungee backup.The shop prefers we teach in what they rent, so usually that's what I do.

I have many dives in just the plain harness and a rash-guard. It's completely comfortable. As mentioned above, the "comfort harness" stuff is not necessary and (in my opinion) not any more comfortable.

I do not think an Air2 is the ideal solution by any means, but it is not as bad as some internet warriors make it out to be.

The Air2 has long been an internet diving problem. I've used one since 91 and never had a single issue of any kind. Have practiced airshare many times over the years also without issue.

To use Tobin's words, claiming the Air2 has all sorts of downsides is a "pre purchase perception". When you own one, use it, and realize it's a simple to use piece of equipment, it becomes a "post purchase reality".

I dive both the normal webbing (DIR) and a comfort harness..... My DIR has around 150 dives, my Transpac comfort nearly 250. Both are less than 3 years old, and get used. Hard.

My One piece webbing harness is only used because my Dive Rite Transpac doesn't accept a plate, and in my DS I prefer the plate over lead.

My comfort harness is fantastic. I like the way the Transpac puts the weight of the tank on your hips. Clever design. I have the rear pad, and padding, not for comfort, but because in a 3mm suit I'm overweighted (carrying no weight) with my steel tank, the padding adds buoyancy which I use.

There is nothing my comfort harness can do that my DIR style can't, except it does it better for my style of diving. Bear in mind mine gets used on boats, and in high currents, and doesn't get treated gently, it gets flown around the world all the time and no damage has been done to it.

Unless you're going down the GUE route, then dive whatever you like, and rig it in a way that suits you best.

I use an SS1 (Atomic inline octo) with my BPW and have no problems with it. Have practiced with it and have not found any issues with managing the buoyancy. I occasionally use a back mounted pony bottle and put the reg for it on a necklace so the inline octo works great for that application, I don't worry about getting my reg's confused.

The Air2 has long been an internet diving problem. I've used one since 91 and never had a single issue of any kind. Have practiced airshare many times over the years also without issue.

To use Tobin's words, claiming the Air2 has all sorts of downsides is a "pre purchase perception". When you own one, use it, and realize it's a simple to use piece of equipment, it becomes a "post purchase reality".

Combo Octo inflators remain popular because they are a *very* high margin item for the dive shop. It's a "dealer Option" AFAIK no BC ships with a combo octo inflator.

In reality the benefit of a Combo Octo Inflator is limited to *One* fewer LP hose. The list of potential issues is a bit longer. I'd be happy to detail each if you like.

All of those aside the fact remains that use a Combo Octo Inflator requires a much longer Corrugated and LP hose than is required with a simple Power inflator and back up reg.

Most people considering a BP&W are doing so because they want a more streamlined, simpler BC than the typical jacket. Adding a dangly reef dragger delux 22" corrugated hose so the Combo Octo inflator can be used defeats some of the advantages of the "KISS" nature of a BP&W.

Tobin

Yes it's possible... I personally don't like the concept of the Air2, but they are out there...

I recently picked up a used BP/W that came with this:
Edge Egress Safe 2nd Inflator Combination Unit - Products - it does have a dump located in the elbow that attaches to the wing.

As I said, I don't like the concept of the Air2, so you can buy mine cheap!
For Sale - Edge Air2

As far as "comfort harnesses" go, my son has the OMS comfort harness and it is no more "comfortable" than a DIR style webbing harness. In fact, it had so much extra stuff, we swapped it out for a continuous harness for a huge investment of $15

"Rapid Exhausts" or "Pull Dumps" can and do fail, in a variety of ways. Due to the location of such devices, at the high point of the wing / BC if they stick open the BC is rendered useless. With a simple elbow one could remove the power inflator and the wing can still trap gas as long as the end of the hose is below the bubble in the wing.

Is failure of these rapid exhausts common? No. Does it happen? Yes.

Tobin

Adding a dangly reef dragger delux 22" corrugated hose so the Combo Octo inflator can be used defeats some of the advantages of the "KISS" nature of a BP&W.

Tobin

You guys crack me up. Somehow the 22" Combo Octo is a "reef dragger" but a standard octo on a 5 or 6 ft hose is not. Wait, I guess you can clip off the standard octo or somehow secure it to you while diving so it won't drag the reef but you can't do that with a combo. Nope. Just not possible. :shakehead:

You guys crack me up. Somehow the 22" Combo Octo is a "reef dragger" but a standard octo on a 5 or 6 ft hose is not. Wait, I guess you can clip off the standard octo or somehow secure it to you while diving so it won't drag the reef but you can't do that with a combo. Nope. Just not possible. :shakehead:

The 5' or 7' hose should never drag, and is generally not clipped off, because it's your primary, as well as the reg you donate in the rare occurrence that you are required to. The backup reg on a short hose, hanging just below your chin, is what you would switch to.

Thanks for the clarification. Either way, either of those two hoses are well secured while the incredibly long 22" inch hose for the combo unit is dragging all over the place destroying years and years of coral growth. I'm surprised marine parks all over the world even allows them to be used.

Back
Top Bottom