Aldora Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Sue, I am sure Aldora will get you what ever you want. If you recall I dive a SS plate and need no weight when I dive the steels with them BUT I see no reason for you to need those big heavy tanks, Aldora does not limit your dive but with your SAC rate they might start ;-)
By the way ask for Dario for a DM, he is a lot like Pedro Pablo, they are the best DM's on the island.

Sue, Carol was diving with a steel bp w/al80’s before we went to steel 100’s. She immediately dropped 6 lbs.

The biggest difference for a good breather like you is you wont have to worry at bit about having enough air when diving with Aldora.

Last edited:
Everyone, thanks for all of the input....Scubaboarders are the BEST !

I dive with a steel backplate as well. I am 6'5" 212lbs, and I wear a 1mm rash guard under my 3mm full suit. With an AL100 I dont need a pound of lead and I feel like I am flying free. With the heavier 120s I feel like a rock and have a considerable amount of air in my bladder to keep me off of the reef.

Z man, that's a bit of a dangerous situation? no? what would you do if you had a failure of your BCD? Just asking.

I've never been diving with a steel tank for the simple reason that an AL80 will give me over an hour UW on a typical 80' dive with an ascending profile. I'll usually run out of bottom time before I'll run out of air and I'm 5'8 200 lbs. From what I've read a steel 100 really adds weight at the end of a dive as an AL80 at the end of a dive is + boyant while a steel 100 is- boyant by about 6 lbs. I've also read that a steel 100 only really gives you 100CF if it has been filled to its true full operating pressure which is higher than 3000PSI. If you get a 100CF steel tank filled to the standard 3000PSI which most do you're not getting 100CF. I hope some others here can add some more commentary as I kind of view the steel tanks for those who just like breathing more air or perhaps being more energetic under water. I always try to sip air and conserve energy UW.

I hope some others here can add some more commentary as I kind of view the steel tanks for those who just like breathing more air or perhaps being more energetic under water. I always try to sip air and conserve energy UW.
Deepsea21 its the cf of the tank that gives the bottom time not steel vs alumnium. Fulled to working pressures, there is no significant difference in the cf between an al 80 and a steel 80, or an al 100 and a steel 100...

The Aldora tanks are filled to what ever they are are rated to. Most if not all are HP steel 120 or 100"s. I usually see about 3300 on my un-calibrated SPG. LP steel is I think is rated to 3000 like the aluminum? Aldora also has their own fill station and all of the EAN is usually spot on with what the sticker says on the tank. Never seen a hint of CO either, and I do test.
Over the years I have asked for many things from Aldora. As long as you ask, and its within reason, they will make it happen. You want an Aluminum 80? I'm sure they will make it happen. If you want to be on the big boy boat (they have eight boats ) you will be tested on on consumption with the 120 HP steel tank divers that rule the roost and want to dive as long as possible. Don't be offended if they want to see how you do on the first day. SOP for most ops down there...

The Aldora tanks are filled to what ever they are are rated to. Most if not all are HP steel 120 or 100"s. I usually see about 3300 on my un-calibrated SPG. LP steel is I think is rated to 3000 like the aluminum? Aldora also has their own fill station and all of the EAN is usually spot on with what the sticker says on the tank. Never seen a hint of CO either, and I do test.
Over the years I have asked for many things from Aldora. As long as you ask, and its within reason, they will make it happen. You want an Aluminum 80? I'm sure they will make it happen. If you want to be on the big boy boat (they have eight boats ) you will be tested on on consumption with the 120 HP steel tank divers that rule the roost and want to dive as long as possible. Don't be offended if they want to see how you do on the first day. SOP for most ops down there...
LP steel is usually 2400, with the "+" rating it's 2640. The rated CF (e.g. 108cf for an LP108) is based on the 2640 pressure.

If you're getting 3000 or 3300 on an LP steel that's a good solid fill. Almost "cave fill" territory. Most folks I know in the cave country area fill LP's to around 3600.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom