Aldora Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the input.. As some have guessed, Air consumption is not the issue..I easily can get an 80+ min dive on an AL 80..and with air to spare... The concern I have is being overweighted....I dive with a SS backplate and add 4-6 pounds when using an AL 80 . Double S

I didn't know anyone in coz provided steel, let alone as the standard tank. I know who I'll be looking into for my next trip!

For steel tank ops check out:

Aldora
Living Underwater
Liquid Blue

....there may well be others but those are the 3 'big' brands I'm aware of.

Thanks all for the input.. As some have guessed, Air consumption is not the issue..I easily can get an 80+ min dive on an AL 80..and with air to spare... The concern I have is being overweighted....I dive with a SS backplate and add 4-6 pounds when using an AL 80 . Double S

I'd estimate you'll need 4 lbs less lead using a HP 100 vs an AL 80.

Obviously its the Cf of the tank not the composition. But yes, for many women, an 80 will match a man on a 100, and some on a 120.

BTW, diving with them next month for the first time. I assume the valves are din?

And Double S. I am one of the female divers that love my steel tanks, both my 80's and 100's. For the size and weight distributation, I'll take a steel over alumnium every time...except for the al 63's I dive in Bonaire.

Of course, looking at your profile, I'm sure you already know all this.:)

They use those 'universal' yoke/DIN convertable valves.

Maybe not. Women often use mucho less air than guys. She might be fine with an AL80. If the air capacity of an AL80 is a lot less than a steel 80, then I would question if there is an issue with a steel 80 before going with an AL80.

The HP 100 is just a touch shorter than an AL 100, so the transition between the two tanks is trivial, things like trim and tank bands placement are identical. The HP 80 is actually too stubby unless you're very short, with BC dragging the ground, too short to let the bench support the weight of the tank once you strap it on, etc.

I dive a small steel Freedom plate. I think it weighs in at about 3.5 lbs. With my steel tanks in my 3ml and vest I am almost exactly weighted with no added weights, maybe a pound or two in the trim pocket. For comparison, with an al 80 I need about 8 lbs. Six on the belt and 2 trim. Although I don't mind my rubber weight belt its still nice when I can dive without it.

Last edited:
The valves are DIN, with inserts for yoke regs.

I just need to learn more about Steel tanks before I try one..or perhaps , take one out for a buoyancy check.... Thanks everyone for the input.
Double S

I too moved from steel to aluminum (and later plastic) backplates when I switched to steel tanks. Al or plastic + worthington steel 108 = no lead. It did take some getting used to - having all the weight on top of me rather than under.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom