All about Oxygen O2 Analyzers, including DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Believe it or not I really like the oxyspy (distributed by abyss). You can calibrate to free air, so you don't need another tank, and it's very fast and easy to use.

Now before anyone gets started on how it's not as accurate, yadda yadda yadda....it is within 1% of any other analyzer I've used whether or not they were calibrated to tank air.

If 1% is important to you, then you are diving the wrong gas, IMO.

Ease of use is important when you are calibrating half a dozen tanks for each dive.

I know a number of very knowledgeable divers who love the Oxyspy. I like it myself, and yer point about 1% is well-taken. It's the easiest to use I've ever encountered.

I ended up buying the Expedition on a recommendation from Scott Koplin. He promised me it's the most durable analyzer I'll ever use and that Patrick is "the man" to deal with for gear.

JF

I have an Oxyspy and the local dive shop that I deal with mainly has switched to one also. It is easy to use on a rocking boat. The battery and sensor are easy to replace when they are done.

Robert:doctor:

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Believe it or not I really like the oxyspy (distributed by abyss). You can calibrate to free air, so you don't need another tank, and it's very fast and easy to use.

Now before anyone gets started on how it's not as accurate, yadda yadda yadda....it is within 1% of any other analyzer I've used whether or not they were calibrated to tank air.

If 1% is important to you, then you are diving the wrong gas, IMO.

Ease of use is important when you are calibrating half a dozen tanks for each dive.

I like the Oxyspy as well, and have tested it against a few other analyzers and it's quite accurate. It's ease of use makes it a great unit.

I’ve had the opportunity to use a variety of analyzers on the dive boat, the Oxycheq has been the most reliable, abuse resistant and accurate that I’ve used. I won’t buy anyone else’s again. I like the Oxyspy for personal use, but it’s not as abuse proof.

Wood

Hello,

I use an analox mini o2 DII meter. It's calibrated based on air, temp and humidity. www.weather.com will tell you the 2 factors you need, temp and humidity. There is a user replacable 9v battery and a tube that comes with it. You waste very very little gas to get an accurate reading.

If you need a humidity/temp gauge Mannix has an affordable one.

Ed

i have the ozycheq el-cheapo 2 and it works great. with in .1 of the lds. patrick is very helpful and does not delay in communicating with you. only had one issue with the instructions and that was the removal of a resister on the meter board. i probably overlooked it in the step by step but caught it in the drawing notes. a little skill and a dremmel tool and you have it done. mine ran 130.00 with the inflator hose adaptor and 1-2 liter reducer (no flow rate adjustment required). buiilt my own adaptor for sensing straight off the tank with a T from the hardware store. (besure to take your sensor with you to get the right T) new o2 sensors are 65.00 and good for 5 years. i am happy. i think you will be to. a little silicone seal and you can keep it pretty well water proofed around the meter face.

Ok, who's familiar with O2 analyzers? Are OxyCheq sensors really good? Has anyone tried to build their "El Cheapo" 1 or 2 analyzer? How does it fare against retail models?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Many previous posts on oxycheck analyzers you might want to try the TEK forum for more info?

Here is my analysis, pun intended, of Oxycheck.

1, yes they are an excellent sensor

2, yes I've built ElCheapo and if one is able to use a soldering pencil with a little experience it is not at all difficult.

3, the elcheapo is not as rugged looking as their other analyzers but if you keep it in a dry box with padding it should last as long.

4, it was a fun little project to do this early spring when I wasn't able to dive.

chuckrt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom