Alleged censorship on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dan is gone, who is gonna keep the new guys from buying split fins? Maybe I should go buy some stock in a company that sells split fins.:D

If Dan is gone, who is gonna keep the new guys from buying split fins?

I'm on it!

Todd3.JPG

It's really a shame to loose someone with that depth of knowledge, but if you can't separate Internet nonsense from real life, you should move on.

You know, I've been on SB for eight years now, and I've been a mod most of that time. The moderator staff changes -- people come and go -- and the personalities change a little. But the overall moderation has been amazingly consistent. Regular users may not be aware that, although housekeeping issues like moving threads and deleting duplicate posts are done by individual moderators, anything major or controversial is thoroughly discussed among the group before action is taken. As a result, no "police state" moderator can take the tone of the board anywhere, unless they can get consensus that it should be done.

You'll pretty consistently see moderation come into play when people are getting mad at one another and it shows. Personal rudeness, bad language, and accusations are often moderated. Animated and heated discussion that remains topic-focused and civil is almost NEVER touched.

Where we get into uproars is where the moderator staff's opinion of what's uncivil differs from the poster's. And the BIG difference here is that the moderator opinion is consensus, where the individual's opinion is precisely that. I think sometimes it would be good for posters who feel they have been moderated unfairly to ask some other board members for their opinions. We get awfully wound up in our own emotions at times.

For some reason, I suspect that Dan will be back..

FWIW, the mods and I have been trying to come up with a better way to keep our users in line. I think we have a solution.

tumblr_mft37hO8DR1rsv1hyo1_500.jpg

Also, we're not happy with the stress levels a few people have. Enclosed, please find your new stress reduction kit.

bangheadhere_XnICH_16959.gif

Finally, we've decided that we need some professional help here.

h8E89D448

Dan, whether you stay or leave is up to you. I don't pretend to fully understand your paranoia, but when it subsides, we'll still be here.

I don't read too much of this stuff - my eyes just start glazing over - but you oughta keep Dan around.

He is the closest thing to Ayn Rand left in this existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom