Alternate strap for Suunto D6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased the adapter for my D6 and I can't wait for it to arrive! I started thinking though...I noticed that the Suunto metal strap has a rubber/silicone gaskets on the ends. Would adding gaskets to the D6 adaptors be a good idea to help lower the chance of corrosion in the gaps between the computer and the adapter? Not sure how though.

Last edited:
Hi,
To answer your question, I think the Metal band has a plastic bit next to the watch more for a Looks perspective than anything else.
The Adapters are made from 316 Stainless, so unless you have had a Seiko, or a Citizen watch start to rust on you in the past, you wont have any problems with these.
I cant verify the Suunto watch material, but they say it's 316 stainless, and if they are telling the truth, you wont have any issues from Dielectric corrosion either.
As long as you treat the computer as you should, as in rinse it after every dive, you shouldn't have any problems.
Other than the "Look" issue with the metal band, if they wanted to make it easy to install and not mill the ends to within really tight tolerances, a plastic edge on the last link would make it just easier to produce.

The top screws that hold the bands on are both tapered, to make them easy to insert, and also has the advantage of "Camming" them in tighter to the watch body.
The deeper the screw goes, the closer to the watch body they get.

The only issue is that someone who has never changed the band before may think that you have to remove the two screws on the BOTTOM of the watch to change the bands, but you don't.
If you loosen, or tighten the ones on the bottom, go get the waterproof-ness checked before you dive.
Get a reputable watch maker to check the integrity of the seals if you touch them at all.

If you only touch the two small T6 Torx screws on the top, it cant affect the seals of the watch at all.
I'll post a Pic here to show you which screw I mean exactly.

Also with the strap I sell, you wont need locktite on the screws, the Strap and Adapters will hold them in place without it even if you loose one screw, and when you install the screws, make sure you put them in "Snug" but not TOO Tight, they are really easy to strip.

I hope that this answers all your questions, if you have more let me know.

Cheers,
Duke

Attachments

• IMG_9791_RS.jpg
    IMG_9791_RS.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_9792.jpg
    IMG_9792.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 160
Hey Tigger,

Nope, we haven't made the ones fr the D4 yet, if you want to be on the list for the D4's e-mail me, and I'll put you on the list for an e-mail once we decide to do them.
Cheers

There seem to be alot of trouble with the straps on all suunto comuters, with suunto and the local distributers (in NZ anyway) not really caring too much, which is more money for them i suppose. im thinking of starting a facebook page for all who have had problems I for one do not want another crappy suunto strap, and D Vince has a great alternative. im thinking that if enough people join the page someone at suunto may take notice, maybe not but you never know. ill let you know once ive set up the page (ill be sure to include a link to D Vince's excellent alternative)

There seem to be alot of trouble with the straps on all suunto comuters, with suunto and the local distributers (in NZ anyway) not really caring too much, which is more money for them i suppose. im thinking of starting a facebook page for all who have had problems I for one do not want another crappy suunto strap, and D Vince has a great alternative. im thinking that if enough people join the page someone at suunto may take notice, maybe not but you never know. ill let you know once ive set up the page (ill be sure to include a link to D Vince's excellent alternative)
They won't do anything about it gabesdad !!!!!...I've been challenging/needling/insulting and e-mailing them about this problem for over a year [I own a D9 and a Vytec DS, thank goodness DSS has a bungee holder for the Vytec !!! ]....I put the blame on the parent company who we all know !!!!.......D_Vince, hurry-up w/the D9 straps....I've got 23 diving friends who need them for their D9's !!!!!!.....They don't even use them 'cause of the strap!!!!!!!........

They should be done any day now, I've been waiting for the Customs guys here to give me a bell saying I have multiple heavy boxes waiting for me there... As soon as they are done, I will post it here, and on the Tibby-Adapters web page, and the Tibby-Adapters Facebook page, and send out a mass e-mail to everyone on the list who has asked me to notify them personally. With all that, hopefully there wont be anyone we will miss.

Back
Top Bottom