Alternative signaling methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just not here, huh...?

If that were true of whichever faceless Username you are referencing, there are certainly better ways to suggest better ideas as well as why the harmless bag is indeed a bad one. Some people would just rather harass, lie if needed, etc. for whatever reason I could only guess. Maybe they were bottle fed as babies; who knows...? :idk:

Now if & when I do suggest a poor idea, which was not the SMB, mirror, or air power whistle I don't guess - even tho one of the gang finally ridiculed those without reason, I welcome constructive corrections. None of that gang bothered and it seems you're not either. Oh !@#$ well...

Damn Don, that's a lot of whining and name calling in response to sound advice. Since you claim we make no suggestions (far from the truth) I'd like to make one for you now.

pacifier.jpg

Seriously dude, you're the one resorting to name calling here.

Actually, Carter does. I have one made by them that is white, with a dive flag printed on one side of it. It's vinyl coated and waterproof and can be used as a dry bag for clothes, as a lift bag, or as a dive flag/smb.

But from a visibility standpoint, I much prefer my orange 80lb halcyon bag with SOLAS tape on it.

I've seen Carters white lift bags, old ones. I carry a 60lb Halcyon lift bag and a Carter smb/lift bag w/ 35lb lift on every dive. I've also found the Carter smb to be quite handy for shooting your catch to the surface when things get too sharky.:D

I like it because it can be shot like a lift bag with the open bottom or orally inflated on the surface, and as you can see here it has highly reflective SOLAS tape making it very easy to spot....

PF%2075%20photo.gif

Well, that's happy news.

Doesn't excuse him for showing up just to harass, not contributing anything.

Making sure no one thinks a white garbage bag is a good idea is a much better contribution than letting people think it is a good idea.

ScubaSteve will probably have to wait for a date for a little while. His wife just had a baby! :)

That might explain the lack of sleep and lack of diving.....:hm:

Well, that's happy news.

Doesn't excuse him for showing up just to harass, not contributing anything.

Yes it is happy news....thanks. He is pretty awesome.

I did not show up "just to harass". You tried to make the point that the proper devices that have been suggested in this thread in response to you are no good because people won't carry them. I replied back with the statement that if someone is not going to invest in the proper equipment then they should not be diving. And I am pleased to tell you Don, a HEFTY (or GLAD) garbage back is not "proper equipment" to most trained divers.

Besides, for it to be DIR it must be black which limits it's visibility :popcorn:

I will now allow you to spread bad ideas for a while....have we invoked Godwin yet?

If that were true of whichever faceless Username you are referencing, there are certainly better ways to suggest better ideas as well as why the harmless bag is indeed a bad one. Some people would just rather harass, lie if needed, etc. for whatever reason I could only guess. Maybe they were bottle fed as babies; who knows...? :idk:

Now if & when I do suggest a poor idea, which was not the SMB, mirror, or air power whistle I don't guess - even tho one of the gang finally ridiculed those without reason, I welcome constructive corrections. None of that gang bothered and it seems you're not either. Oh !@#$ well...

Okay, honey, you are making no sense whatsoever.

I will glad to expand. I didn't mention your mirror,smb, or whistle, because they are all very good safety devices. You said that you carry a white trash bag to shine a light in if you are out at night and drifted off. This is silly for several reasons.
1. trash bags are very loose and of weak material. They are just as likely to tear as you take them out of a pocket.
2. In the water, they will be hard to handle because they are such thin plastic.
3. You can shine your dive light up a smb and get a tall tube glow that extends up above waves, where a trash bag will be only right on the surface.
4. In waves of any size at all, the trash bag is easily hidden.

If you want, get a yellow smb that you can shine the light in. Problem solved.

Now, when talking to me, be respectful, quit making dismissive assumptions and listen to responses. I am happy to discuss anything, but I get my back up when someone pouts and calls me names. If you want me to expand and explain, simply ask. I am happy to.

Now, about Chip(Onespeed). I have had the pleasure to meet him. He was kind enough to actually open his home to a person from across the world, who he had only known from this online forum. Last year for ITK, he met me, put me up at his home, was a gracious host, and even lent me his steel tanks for ITK!!! Who does that? He is witty and sarcastic. He is very intelligent. You may hate him all you want, but I know he is a fine man. I am proud to be his friend. If you want to lump me in as a gang, or any of the petty names you call him, I guess that is OK with me.

Hey folks

Just back from my dive max depth 13m with 41min bottom time poor vis of about 2-3m and very silty but from a confidence point of view I felt good very nervous before dive but once I got in the water was okay had one or two moments where I felt I couldn't get enough air but I just stopped relaxed and got my breath my sac rate was actually very good too so all round happy this shallow easy programme seems the best way and I'm going to keep it up for sometime yet

Thanks again

Aftershock

FANTASTIC! You will get better and better. You will also be a stronger diver and leader because you worked it out. And you will handle problems in the future better also. Good Job!

Often on dive boats I have used the crew gets pretty upset when they see a plastic bag in a diver's gear. Turtles are not the only marine life that are being killed by stray plastic, that is often mistaken for food, squid, etc.

001plasticbag1DM_800x517.jpg

This turtle is obviously separated from the boat.

Think......

turtle_plasticbag_w800_edited4.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom