Am I fit for scuba diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys ! Somehow, I doubt I ever will be able to swim 200m on the surface (don't know why, may be my buoyancy is not good, but I just can't). But I am very comfortable swimming with a snorkel, mask, and fins, for 300m; I thought that the open water test states that this is enough ?
I once had a student who did her 200 yard swim with a beautiful relaxed crawl stroke the whole way. She looked like she might have been a competitive swimmer in the past. The reality is that less than a year before she was a near non-swimmer. She had taken a discover scuba class and nearly drowned. She cried all the way back to the shore and decided she would make a change. It took only a few lessons to make her a competent swimmer, but she stayed with it a little longer and became a beautiful swimmer. I agree with those who say you will enjoy scuba better if you improve your swimming skills a little.

I don't see anything else you mention that gives me immediate cause for concern, but you will need to have a doctor sign off before you take the class.

A friend of mine tried to learn diving, and, according to him, the deeper you are, the more uncomfortable it feels. He managed 30ft, but diving to 60ft ended in an some kind of accident (I'll ask him what exactly happened that discouraged him from scuba diving for life. So I figured out that I'll be happy with 10-15ft, there are plenty of reefs at that depth. Does it make sense ?

Your friend must have had an unusual experience. The reality is just the opposite. Because of the way buoyancy changes with depth (which you will learn in class), diving in 10-15 feet of water well requires more skill than diving at 100 feet. At the shallow depths, small changes in depth (and therefore in water pressure) have a bigger impact on the compression of air in your ears, lungs, and your equipment. (I am not saying it is not more dangerous to dive in deep water; I am saying that most people should find the physical act of diving easier when they are deeper.)

I would like to book scuba diving lessons at a resort I'll be vacationing at. But before booking them, I would like to find out if I am fit for diving. Unfortunately, I could not find any online form that would tell me that. So here is my input data, may be you could tell me if I am fit or not.

1. My goal is to dive at 3-5 meters (10-15 feet) depth, I don't need more.

2. Open water test: I cannot swim 200m at the surface, but I can swim 300m with a snorkel and fins.

3. I am a 49yo male, with slightly elevated blood pressure that is fully controlled by 5mg of Lisinopril (I suspect that I don't need it any more). I have 2.5 dioptries nearsightedness. No other known chronic conditions.

4. My cholesterol is borderline to slightly elevated, but recent blood vessel calcium scoring was very good.

5. Recent treadmill echo cardiogram was normal.

6. My overall physical fitness level is probably below average for my age, though it is hard to estimate. For example, I can hike 5 miles with altitude gain of 3000 feet in both directions (10 miles) in less than 5 hours.

So am I fit for scuba diving, or not ?
From what you wrote as a description you are required to get medical approval from your medical doctor before starting any scuba training in a pool.
As for the non ability not being able to swim 200 yards non stop and doing the 300yd mask/snorkel/fin swim that is ok BUT you still have to be able to tread water for 10 minutes. I highly suggest taking swim lessons before starting a scuba class if you cannot tread water for the entire 10 minutes.

I can float for 10 minutes in salty water on my back, not much treading is required. Is it good enough, or I have to be able to do it on my belly ?

I can float for 10 minutes in salty water on my back, not much treading is required. Is it good enough, or I have to be able to do it on my belly ?

A lot of people call the requirement a tread. Some instructors actually require treading, but the standards don't. Here is what the standard says:

Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate
that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/
float without using any swim aids.

The word "tread" does not appear in the standard at all. It doesn't even say you have to stay on top of the water. You just have to "maintain" for 10 minutes. To me, that means "don't drown." In fact, I tell my students when they do this that anyone who drowns during that session automatically fails the course.

Ok, if you are worried about the 200 meter because you might be a sinker, put on a wetsuit that makes you float. The wetsuit would be for keeping you warm in that cold water. I think your doc will be happy to hear you sign up for some activities. Enjoy!

The part about treading water or simple being able to float, I'd rationalised with students with a scenario of them falling overboard during a boat dive. Treading water is what I consider to be counter intuitive: you would think that the harder your kick and scull, the better you'd float, but the opposite is true. So when you fall over into the water, the knowledge that you can tread comfortably would give you the peace of mind and you would be able to tread efficiently or even just float calmly.

With regards to your preference of staying shallow, the best thing to do is just to take things one step at a time. Unless you have problems with equalization, you would hardly notice the changes with the depth. In fact, my Open Water students often get surprised at their depth when I got them to check their gauges. Stay at a depth where you're comfortable, and you'll know when you're ready to go deeper.

Ok, if you are worried about the 200 meter because you might be a sinker, put on a wetsuit that makes you float. The wetsuit would be for keeping you warm in that cold water. I think your doc will be happy to hear you sign up for some activities. Enjoy!
Not allowed. Must be in bathing suit, or if in a wet suit must wear some lead to the point of being neutrally buoyant.

A lot of people call the requirement a tread. Some instructors actually require treading, but the standards don't. Here is what the standard says:

Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate
that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/
float without using any swim aids.

The word "tread" does not appear in the standard at all. It doesn't even say you have to stay on top of the water. You just have to "maintain" for 10 minutes. To me, that means "don't drown." In fact, I tell my students when they do this that anyone who drowns during that session automatically fails the course.

My Open water instructor had us passing a snorkel around whist treading water and each time it came back to you - you had to tell a joke or anecdote. He wanted to ensure we could communicate effectively with a boat or other diver whist treading water.
Made sense to me at the time.

The "PADI Standard" is the minimum you need to demonstrate to pass the course. The question begs - If the minimum requirement is actually the maximum you can manage, then is this activity really for you?

Float: Obviously harder-- much harder for "sinkers" like us-- in a fresh water pool. Look into "drown proofing". It meets the standards, though I have heard of some instructors not allowing it for some reason.
200 meter swim: If you will have to do this and not the much easier 300 meter mask/fin/snorkel (which basically only requires good finning and strong legs), consider a couple of swimming lessons. It's all about correct stroke and breathing (not too little OR too much air). It's also about developing SWIMMING muscles. Many people are tremendously fit, but not for swimming. Correct technique and somewhat decent swimming muscles' shape should get you those 200 yards easily, as the test isn't timed. It's a really good idea to know how to swim properly for just being around or in water, regardless of whether you scuba dive.

I like your hiking thing. I may be able to do the same (age 59), but I'm not gunna go out and try it. I've been in a few nasty currents and did well. Am no doctor and give no medical advice, but it sounds like you may do well also.

Just posted this in another thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/q-...atory-those-taking-up-open-water-courses.html). It seems relevant here also..

Here are the exact PADI requirements for swim (watermanship) assessment:

PADI Instructor Manual 2013:
Watermanship

Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids.

At some point before certification, have students complete a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/ yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.

If conditions warrant, students may wear an exposure suit as long as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy.

This requirement is further amplified in the PADI Guide to Teaching (manual that directs instructors on how to conduct their training courses)..

PADI Guide to Teaching:
Watermanship
The overall objective of the 10 minute swim/float is for you, the instructor, to see that student divers have reasonable swimming ability. If conditions warrant, student divers may wear an exposure suit as long as they are weighting for neutral buoyancy.

Advise people who appear weak and uncomfortable in the water to improve through lessons or practice before engaging in dive training. Advise those with marginal water skills to practice and strengthen their skills for participation in the open water dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom