American divers living abroad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXRoss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to purchase a house abroad to spend my retirement years living in. I know that there are many American divers out there living abroad and would be interested in hearing about where you are living and how you like it. I am looking for a place with year round diving and a place where my retirement dollars go far. I have been looking at Cozumel, Costa Rica, Belize, Roatan and USVI, but am open to suggestions. So, let me know what you think.

Thanks Much & Happy Diving,
Roger

Last edited:
I think your single biggest issue is not the location but health care.
I don't think medicare is available for citizens outside of the US (Don't know for sure but I think I am right). You will need to pick some place with direct flights back to the US in the event you have a serious health related issue.

I am assuming that you will be in your 60's when making the move so to speak. If you are younger its not as pressing an issue but one to keep in the back of your mind.

The Philippines comes first to mind, and its close to both Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand to name a few good spots. Far, far cheaper than Cozumel and Costa Rica, and the diving IMO is much better, as you are in the 'Coral Triangle'!

A big "second" on the DeputyDan Health Care reminder.

Consider using the WALMART SCALE. Some places have them, some islands will soon have them, some will likey not see them in your lifetime.

Pick accordingly.

The HOME DEPOT SCALE has different criteria for many.

we met quite a few who live on Roatan (RoatanMan can help you with this) and also on Bonaire (there is a website for info on this -http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/discus.cgi?pg=topics scroll down to the Moving to Bonaire forum). A couple we know built a house there over several years and finally moved down to Bonaire permanently last year. It was a long, drawn out process with lots of red tape but they are really happy now. They fly back to Fla to visit relatives occasionally but otherwise they are there full time and dive every day!

I think there are hundreds living in Belize, in fact I read quite a bit about an American village on the Mainland there outside of Belize City a few years ago with housings and condos specifically geared for Americans. It looks to me like the perfect place to go! Most of these people aren't divers, just people retiring to Paradise but I know there are lots of divers who retired to Ambergris Caye area. So I would look into Belize.

Hey Gang:

Thanks for the quick responses.

Dan......You are right about MediCare use abroad. However, I am only going to be 55 when I move, so I have a few years before MediCare is a worry. Also, I am planning on keeping my house in Texas, so I can fly back and forth for medical and dental care. So, again you are right about the direct flights. That was one reason why Cozumel is appealing.....short and inexpensive flights to Houston.

Boxcar......I have never been to the Philippines. Is safety an issue there?

Hey Doc......I loved the diving in Roatan and Utila! How do you like living there?

Robin.....I liked Belize diving too and have looked at Ambergris Caye. They are opening a new subdivision where they are selling lots for only $7500 each. So, that is an option. I have not been to Bonaire, but did like Curacao. I read that the only problem with both of those is that the Dutch charge 10% income tax on all foreign earned income, including pension income. That could get costly.

Thanks Again,
Roger

I have lived in the Philippines for several years on the Island of Cebu. Obviously life style is a major factor in choosing a place to relocate. The Philippines is centrally located to jump from one great dive spot to the next, however the last minute run to the grocery store is out of the question. Hospitals can be a challenge and the traffic is something more like an organized free for all. BUT with that said, you're safe here in Cebu, the people are friendly, and I wouldn't trade a moment of it. If reef diving and warm water suits your taste,... we'll keep the porch light on for you!

Good luck

I have a few friends that live abroad that are members of this board....I will email them to see if they will jump in and give you information....one of my friends and also is Doc's friend as well are building a home in Roatan as we speak...they may be able to give you some info as well....

uh...btw do you need a maid...I can swing a mop....but cooking not so much:D

good luck:)

Check out the Philippines. I travel there every year. Dental work is very good and quite inexpensive. Physical therapists, nurses, labs, dermatologists, and other doctors , are all quite affordable. Medical care in the cities like cebu or manila are quite good. And I do believe medicare is accepted at places like saint lukes. Renting a house or apartment is very cheap. We always hire a housekeeper and cook and driver when in the country as these are also cheap. Food, dirt cheap, transportation is also very cheap. Owning property for foreigners is not really possible, leasing would be an option, or just marry a pinay. Check out the web site livinginthephilippines for tons of information. And the diving is fantastic. There are many expiatrates living there and the PI welcomes them. Plus english is spoken by practicaly everyone.

Last edited:
I am looking to purchase a house abroad to spend my retirement years living in. I know that there are many American divers out there living abroad and would be interested in hearing about where you are living and how you like it. I am looking for a place with year round diving and a place where my retirement dollars go far. I have been looking at Cozumel, Costa Rica, Belize, Roatan and USVI, but am open to suggestions. So, let me know what you think.

Thanks Much & Happy Diving,
Roger

Hi Roger & others,

I am also looking at similar locations as you so I'm very interested in all the input.

I see a couple of answers suggesting the Philippines, but I don't think I'm interested in moving there. I have a friend building a home in Bali, Indonesia, but when I visited there earlier this year I think I decided that I don't want to go to a place where the language and culture is so very different than the USA.

I'm also looking ahead at the medical situation in the future, and from what I've read (and some have mentioned here) you have to live in the US or a US territory in order to get Medicare (if it still exists in a few years!).

I have also read that it's a good idea not to take your car for the reasons mentioned above. Also don't take wood furniture due to cost/delay for fumigation etc.

I've also added Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa to my list in addition to the ones you mention. If I ultimately decide to go outside of US territories I'm very interested the places you mention plus Bonaire and Panama are high on my places to look into further.

Wally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom