Andaman coast weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please tell me that post was either a joke or...

No joke.
If there's one thing under water that really freaks me out, it's the complete lack of respect of some scuba-divers for the reef and its creatures.
Divers poking, touching, "caressing", scaring, moving or in any other way harassing creatures deserve to get bitten, stung and hurt by those creatures.
The reef and its creatures are no toys. If you cannot keep your hands (and feet) off the reef you shouldn't be diving.
:kicknut:

No joke.
If there's one thing under water that really freaks me out, :

I guess that from one scuba professional to another, I would have taken it for granted that you'd get the joke.

Calling a fish to you under water? Expecting it to answer you like it was a dog or small ferret? Petting a fish?? Petting a scorpionfish?????? (I don't even know how many question marks to end that with...)

The last post I was quoting used "nice (?)" devil scorpion to describe her/his dive at Ao Nui. I thought it was a clever and succinct way of describing a fish that's anything but nice but everything beautiful about crazy looking marine life.

What freaks me out is that you actually thought I was promoting harassing marine life. Especially the kind that makes you go owey when you pet it.

So, for all those that are paying attention. Let's get this straight once and for all.

We agree that marine life should be left undisturbed. It's their world, not ours.
We agree that scorpoionfish hurt.
We agree that the previous poster I was quoting was happy to see a devil scorpion.
We agree that the previous poster was NOT happy to have missed the whale shark, but was happy to hear reports that one was around.

I agree (with myself) to the rest of my post (which was the only part that had any real meaning) that upwelling brings nutrients towards shallow waters which increases the tendencies to see plankton eaters like whale sharks.

I also agree (with anyone who is still reading this) that whale sharks are cool to look at, and if it takes 27 degrees to bring more of them around, then (brrrrrrrrr) bring it on.

Now for all those sixth graders that read my post and ran out and started smashing palms against lionfish and stonefish, I hope you learned your lesson.

Is it against Scuba Board Rules to invoke an occasional bit of irony?

What freaks me out is that you actually thought I was promoting harassing marine life...

It's a bit a touchy subject, at least for me it is. I guess over the years I've seen too many brainless fools trashing the reef....

I'll try and get some shots of the seahorses up soon..

The yellow seahorse on your facebook page looks at first glance like a tiger-tail seahorse. I've only seen tiger-tail seahorses in a yellow and in a green variation so am curious to see your blue seahorse. If you do get a chance sometime please take some pics and post them either here, on your website or facebook pages. Cheers!!

BUT DON'T PROMOTE HARASSING MARINELIFE!!!!

:bash:

I know this is going to be considered off topic/flaming/abusive/re-treading useless posts/general harassment.....

but with that said.

Can you point out to me where I promoted harassing marine life? If I actually managed to get a devil scoropionfish to respond to my verbal beck and call underwater, and then tried to pet it, and it did exactly what it was evolved to do... wouldn't you be agree I was promoting natural selection? I do unto others...the fool that lays in a crown of thorns made his own bed...etc.

I know this is going too far, but I can't believe that after my last post, I'm still being pegged for promoting something that I was obviously taking a stand against. Call it professional pride, call it ego, but get to know me from my posts or come and visit me, but don't turn a joke into a soap box.

Ok, I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom