• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Andrea Doria Discussion

Discussion in 'Wreck Diving' started by AhoyFed, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving

ChuckP likes this.
  2. Rose Robinson

Rose Robinson Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi Tribal,

We all have goals/dreams, exploring the Snake River Canyon, a wonderful goal/dream, jumping the Snake River Canyon, not so much.

I was never a fan of the post-script, ''He died doing what he loved''.

Rose.

TTPaws likes this.
  3. Rick Brant

Rick Brant Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Just finished reading it -- thank you for the reference! Great story and I enjoyed the intimate view the author had of the entire period. I'm not sure that book is much of an endorsement for artifact hunting but it does give a lot of insight. I totally recommend reading it for those who have not.

The author does not really do much of a post-mortem on his own episode of the bends and I had a question. He made a beeline for the surface, then kept saying "I f'd up" over and over. Given that his dive buddy was near him at one point, wouldn't he have been better off going to the anchor line and at least burning through his remaining air before going up? Between his buddy and others that were diving, it seems possible that he may have encountered someone else that could have ferried bottles down to him or perhaps shared. It's almost the same question for the Rouse's, I know Chrissy was pulling water through his regulator, but if they had made it to the anchor line with even some shared air they would have lessened the deco debit as well as had some chance of an emergency resupply. Like the author they seem to have pulled the ascent trigger far too early.

One thing that jumped out at me in the book, when they are finally discussing the actual last dive. The expedition is described as smooth and successful just before the Rouses go down, but then a page or two later the author mentions that another diver had already been choppered off the boat for emergency deco. Is that a typical expedition? Three evacs on one trip? I would think the Coast Guard would have been billing that boat by the rescue at that point.

OTF likes this.
  4. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Seriously man read especially what you have highlighted again and this time include some comprehension