Andrea Doria Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was never a fan of the post-script, ''He died doing what he loved''.

Rose.
For the postscript it may be OK. For the diver himself doubt very much those were his last thoughts. Had a friend who took about 45 mins to get out of a deep wreck silt out deep inside a certain big wreck in the SCS at almost 70m / 240ft. First if he had been on OC and not on CCR he would not have made it, and 2nd the last thing he said was on his mind was "oh well, I am going to die doing something I love". He said it was the exactly the opposite (i.e, "I dont want die, like this"!) and an absolutely terrifying that he would not want anyone to go through! And this was a man not easily 'rerrified'

And another good example, if still needed, of a CCR actually saving someone's life (as a few on here continue to naievly push that they kill people) by reducing the time / pressure one would have been under in that situation if on OC (to find way out).

I have a copy of the source photo but the copyright is owned by Bob Hollis' estate. The cover of a 50 year old Skin Diver Magazine could be considered fair use.
Might be worth reaching out to Nick. While I haven't met him personally, he seems like a good guy. If the OP approaches him for permission to use it, it might happen.

Might be worth reaching out to Nick. While I haven't met him personally, he seems like a good guy. If the OP approaches him for permission to use it, it might happen.
Nick White? Again, I'm not a member of the "for real" diving community. But I'm trying to do well by doing good. Just looking for clear photo images of divers on the wreck, not necessarily holding a plate or other object.

Nick White? Again, I'm not a member of the "for real" diving community. But I'm trying to do well by doing good. Just looking for clear photo images of divers on the wreck, not necessarily holding a plate or other object.
Nick Hollis.

The White Star liner RMS Republic sank in 1909 50 miles South of Nantucket Island in about 270' FSW after a collision. Has anyone here dove that wreck or known someone who has?
It is an interesting read. It had a Marconi wireless transmitter that was used to save many lives.

The "Republic" did go down with gold bars as part of its cargo. Whether they were located or recovered, I can't say. It was unidentified for years until the Doria sank. I think it is considered a more hazardous dive as well, but I am uncertain as to why. It may be deeper than the "Andrea Doria', but with similar currents and hazards.

The "Republic" did go down with gold bars as part of its cargo.

That has been the rumor since she went down but the proof is pretty debatable. Nearly every ship that goes down suddenly has a "secret gold" shipment aboard.

Gold shipments are usually secret for obvious security reasons. The real clue that gold was actually aboard is when the insurer puts out bids to salvage it.

I was surprised that Capt. Bayerle himself came on here several years ago to defend his conclusions about what was on the wreck and why. He then said he would go back in 2018 to prove it and now 5 years later that has not happened, but may now happen in 2024. He discovered the wreck in 1981.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom