Anonymous Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty open. And some of you have seen most all of me :wacko: in the pictures posted. I had lots of info in my profile as well as pictures, but not to long ago I received some over the line PMs from a couple guys here on the board. One was very much out of line and I had to politely put the brakes to it. I took a lot of information off my profile because of some of the contacts I had received. And, insults because of being blonde. I joke about it but don't insult me because you think I am "too" attractive or because I am blonde I am not stupid if we don't agree.

Just because one is "out going" doesn't give another the right to assume they can say whatever they want unsolicited without getting to know that person.

Also, I have seen some flat out lies in profiles so you can't believe everything either.

I can't tell you how many have solicited much more than a date just because of my profile photo. And just because I've engaged in playful conversation on the board doesn't mean I welcome rude or vulgar language in a PM.

I must admit, I like to see profile photos to see who I am talking to, or their choice of photos, or where and how they like to dive. R

Very disappointing...

I hope you reported anything over the line to the moderators Raven.

My initial response to this question would have been against anonymous posting, but reading through some of these examples has changed my opinion somewhat.

I do feel very strongly that if your going to post something controversial or negative about someone you give up any right to anonymity. But I can very easily see why you would desire to keep some information private.

All in all I have been very impressed with the contributions and friendliness that seems to be present on this board, but being an open forum I suppose it is susceptible to abuse...

Jeff Lane

Rick Inman once bubbled...
flamed me to ashes! It was my first (or 2nd?) post and I had people attacking me personally, insulting me, etc.
...you may have stepped in a pile but you were able to scrape it off your shoe in the apology thread. :wink:

...but in the future I will. I must say that this was/is not a regular occurance and I would definately not view the Board as a whole by the actions of a few. There are lots of great people here but it only takes one crackpot to make you nervous, know what I mean?

And, I am not opposed to anyone contacting me via PMs, I am open to making friends. : )

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Very disappointing...

I hope you reported anything over the line to the moderators Raven.

Jeff Lane

Obviously there are levels of anonymity. I have no expectation nor desire for people to have their full names, phone numbers, addresses, picture, e-mail, etc. in their profile. That would be excessive and unnecessary.

What I take exception with are the members that choose to exclude the basics, particularly what region they're in. In my view, you don't even have to specify a city, but just knowing roughly where you are makes a huge difference in how we understand eachother.

As a new diver..very new, my open water cert starts on June 23rd, it is nice to get an idea of where people are located. Over time, I may have the opportunity to get to know and even dive with some you you who are within driving distance. Gearhead, for example, is only 5 hours from me =]

On the other hand, my daughter is not, and will not, be allowed to give personal information about herself on the internet. This choice is a step in the right direction, but I realize that there are many computer technicians out there who can easily determine the city you are from, based on encoded information in emails or access to the server that contained the database for this message board.

As a computer technician, I would give a few pieces of advise on protecting yourself.

1. Use a hotmail account as the address you enter in any internet forms.

2. Communicate with those you don't know through the message board.

3. Do not communicate with those you do not know or trust through the email account at your internet service provider, or through instant messenger. These both leave trails that track back to your isp, and personal computer.

4. Consider a firewall software for your computer. Zone Alarm can be downloaded and used for free from www.downloads.com.
Firewall software will block most unsolicited attempts to access your personal computer, and should suffice for most home computer users.

5. Don't have you computer set to remember password, especially if you have personal or financial data on it.

6. Take care not to mention locations, towns or landmarks that would point to where you are. for example "We went down to the market and had pike street tea after dinner last night" If posted on a Tuesday night, we could determine that this person probably works during the week, and therefore would not be on vacation. They likely had dinner at home, or out to eat and were close enough to go to a market that sells a specific tea and still get back home in enough time to continue the workweek the next day. Pike street tea is realatively exclusive to seattle washington. I would guess that the person that wrote the message lives a few blocks from that Pike Street Market in seattle washington. Crossreference the time of the post, along with the email address in their profile and with access to the ISP server you could find the dynamic or static IP address used on that account at that specific time. If it's a static IP, the only thing between your computer and a hacker would be a firewall, if you have one. etc,etc,etc.

These steps will go a long way toward protecting you from internet fraud, hacking or stalking. To keep things in perspective, realize that a message board is a pretty safe environment to have a discussion and the chances of someone actually going to the hassle of tracking someone down with this method is pretty slim and most people would get blocked at some point during the process.

In short, give out only information you are willing to let the entire world know (good people and bad) and take a few precautions listed above.

Hrmm..I wonder if gearhead drinks tea...let me go check the time of his last post. Just kidding =] I am excited to be a part of this board, and am looking forward to the information and possible friendship that may be found here. Safe surfing.

Marcus

roakey once bubbled...

I'll make sure not to let it slip that you like chocolate chip cookies. Especially chocolate-mint ones... :)

Roak

*I* am not the chocoholic that *somebody* else is! I seem to remember scouring the super-mini near Temple of Doom for *your* chocolate fix! :D

I hear you're not going on this year's sojourn.....you will be missed!

MarcusCarr once bubbled...
Hrmm..I wonder if gearhead drinks tea...let me go check the time of his last post. Just kidding =]

Marcus

As a matter of fact, I DO drink tea!! And I think I just had a cup of Chai spice with two spoonfulls of paranoia. :eek:

Good information, Marcus. :)

I don't even remember what I put in my profile. I will have to check it out and see if I neglected any information.

Thanks Gearhead. That Chai tea is good stuff...you must have moved to Oregon :wink: I didn't realize they made 6 or more types of the stuff until recently. We bought one of each hehe.

-Marcus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom