Another backplate/wing setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattengstrom:
I've got a venture wing. I've only had it in the pool so far (winter :frown2: ) but so far so good. I'm heading down to Grand Cayman in a couple of days, so it will get a good workout. PM me if you want some details after I get back.

I've got the tank-mount weight pockets from Zeagle. They mount on the lower tank strap. Nice, because the weight is behind you, which seems better for trim characteristics. I can still reach back and reach both the zipper and the emergency dump handle. Two thumbs up for these, IMHO.
mattengstrom,
What kind of Zeagle weight pockets do you use? Can you give me a link?

Boogie,
I'll consider Venture wing or Oxycheq 30#. Do I really have to go for the 45# version?

I use about 12 lbs of weight with a 7mm semi-dry and double steel 72's. You'll need more than that if you are diving a single AL80 and the weight pockets you have in mind are not going to be adequate unless you use 4 of them or attach more weight somewhere else.

I have tried the Halcyon weight pouches as well as the Dive Rite pouches and I prefer the Dive Rite variety as they are lower profile, transfer more of the weight to the shoulder strap and are far enough aft to provide good trim and prevent interference with the hip D-ring(s). The Halycon pouches do enable you to easily remove and replace the weights in the water however.

The weight is easily ditachable with either system and both are easily loaded and unloaded on the boat. I prefer this capability to what is offerred by a weight pouch where the weight is not easily ditchable, but it's a personal choice.

DA Aquamaster:
I use about 12 lbs of weight with a 7mm semi-dry and double steel 72's. You'll need more than that if you are diving a single AL80 and the weight pockets you have in mind are not going to be adequate unless you use 4 of them or attach more weight somewhere else.

I have tried the Halcyon weight pouches as well as the Dive Rite pouches and I prefer the Dive Rite variety as they are lower profile, transfer more of the weight to the shoulder strap and are far enough aft to provide good trim and prevent interference with the hip D-ring(s). The Halycon pouches do enable you to easily remove and replace the weights in the water however.

The weight is easily ditachable with either system and both are easily loaded and unloaded on the boat. I prefer this capability to what is offerred by a weight pouch where the weight is not easily ditchable, but it's a personal choice.

Are you talking about these?

Katz:
I don't think there will be a problem adding gas even when head down, because inflator is attached approximately at the center of a horseshoe, that means air will be going in to the both sides of it. There may be a probem dumping air, but only if you're facing sidewards and your head is pointing approximately 45 degrees down. In this position you will be unable to use both inflator hose and the pull dump.

The U shape in a single wing is unnecessary and cumbersome.
The " taco " effect even with gas in the wing will make it an uneven distribution. You'll be rotating your shoulders to completely vent. It's necessary in doubles but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it in a single tank. But....let us know how it goes.

I would just buy some webbing, d-rings and keepers to make my own harness. I'm not a fan of all the padding and buckles on the "deluxe" harness kits sold by some manufactures.

I would rather have a circular shaped wing over a doughnut shaped wing anyday. I wouldn't buy anything from OMS either.

ElectricZombie:
I would rather have a circular shaped wing over a doughnut shaped wing anyday.

What's the difference?

Seriously, Jonnythan?

Read Laser's post. "The " taco " effect even with gas in the wing will make it an uneven distribution. You'll be rotating your shoulders to completely vent. It's necessary in doubles but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it in a single tank. "

It's bang on. Circular single tank wings (ala Halcyon or Oxycheq) rock. The horseshoes are a pain in the butt.

Boogie is right.

With a circular design, the air can flow across the interior of the wing very easily. The horseshoe design doesn't let the air flow as much and can lead to gas trapping.

Boogie711:
Seriously, Jonnythan?

Read Laser's post. "The " taco " effect even with gas in the wing will make it an uneven distribution. You'll be rotating your shoulders to completely vent. It's necessary in doubles but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it in a single tank. "

It's bang on. Circular single tank wings (ala Halcyon or Oxycheq) rock. The horseshoes are a pain in the butt.

You may want to reread the post I quoted from EZ. If you still don't get it, read it again :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom