Another backplate/wing setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
I just received the package from S&W metalworks with 2 Hammerhead backplates (AL and steel) and 2 STAs (heavy and light). Good deal, BTW at $160 for everything.
Now I need harness, wing and a weight pockets for use with single AL or steel tanks and 7mm wetsuit, and I'm 6" and 200lb

For the harness I think to get either OMS comfort harness or Dive Rite Transplate harness for easy adjustability of shoulder straps. Are they adjustable like on a regular BC? OMS harness seems to be a better deal at LP, while I can't find Transplate harness for a reasonable price anywhere.

For the wing I'm thinking of getting OMS 32# donut shaped wing, reasonably priced at LP as well. But what do you think about getting Abyss rec2tec 30# or 45# wing, which is much better priced. I don't think it's a good idea to get horseshoe shaped wing for single tank, isn't it? I know that there are also Venture wing for the similar price, but it has less (30#) of lift. The same with Oxycheq 30#, while it's a bit more expensive, and Oxycheq 45# (do I really need that much lift?), and Pioneer 36# or Eclipse 30# or 40# (expensive).

For the weight pockets I'm thinking to get XS Scuba weight pockets to attach them on the waist belt or on the cam bands. Any other options?

What do you think?

PS. I'm not doing any tech diving.

FYI, the OMS wing is actually horseshoe shaped, not truly donut.

I have a Venture and love it for all my single tank diving, regardless of tank size/material.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
FYI, the OMS wing is actually horseshoe shaped, not truly donut.

I have a Venture and love it for all my single tank diving, regardless of tank size/material.

Ben
It's almost donut. You can see it on the picture. I was talking "horseshoe" about a wings similar to DR Rec wing.

It's simple, air will search for the highest point, in a donut wing it can move freely, for example, from side to side with a head-down orientation, it can't do the same in a horseshoe wing, no matter how close to donut it is.

I had a horseshoe wing before and hated it, I had to be vertical to add gas, otherwise it wouldn't balance out.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
It's simple, air will search for the highest point, in a donut wing it can move freely, for example, from side to side with a head-down orientation, it can't do the same in a horseshoe wing, no matter how close to donut it is.

I had a horseshoe wing before and hated it, I had to be vertical to add gas, otherwise it wouldn't balance out.

Ben
I agree with Ben on this one, why wouldn't you want to get a donut wing? As in everything almost doesn't cut it.

I've got a venture wing. I've only had it in the pool so far (winter :frown2: ) but so far so good. I'm heading down to Grand Cayman in a couple of days, so it will get a good workout. PM me if you want some details after I get back.

I've got the tank-mount weight pockets from Zeagle. They mount on the lower tank strap. Nice, because the weight is behind you, which seems better for trim characteristics. I can still reach back and reach both the zipper and the emergency dump handle. Two thumbs up for these, IMHO.

OneBrightGator:

Ben
I don't think there will be a problem adding gas even when head down, because inflator is attached approximately at the center of a horseshoe, that means air will be going in to the both sides of it. There may be a probem dumping air, but only if you're facing sidewards and your head is pointing approximately 45 degrees down. In this position you will be unable to use both inflator hose and the pull dump.

I have the same experience with horseshoe single tank wings as Ben, and my inflator WAS in the middle.

But - are you here for advice or to argue?

Katz - you do whatever you want, because you seem pretty hell-bent on getting whatever wing you want. Do you really need us to validate that for you? Apparently so.

We don't care if you dive a doughnut wing, a doughnut or a wing with feathers. Go nuts, have fun. In the near words of the infamous Doppler - we don't give a monkey's toss whether you dive a doughnut wing or wanker supreme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom