Another Newly Hatched Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,

Well, I got my last two certification dives in for Open Water on Saturday at the quarry. I now have the right (and obligation) to learn how to dive to the very best of my ability. I'm not viewing this cert as an "end-point", much more it's a "ticket to train".

I felt really comfortable most all the time, had some real problems with doing the compass nav. I kept wandering off course, I could get a heading set, or I could swim, but had a hell of a time doing both. I'm going to say that it was challenging, swimming a course at 15 feet, in a quarry with a 100+ foot bottom with a viz around 15 feet.

Have a LOT of work to do on my buoyancy control, I would be ok below 10 foot or so, but once I got to about 8 foot, it became a struggle to not bounce up. On the other hand, I was keeping something like a 'trimmed' position, basically horizontal in the water, not plowing through at a 45* angle. :) I know that with a new 5mm jumpsuit, that's going to happen, and it's going to be the worst until it gets some depth exposure and collapses down a bit. Had a 5mm new full suit, steel 72cf tank, and 8 pounds of weight. I weigh in at 160.

Best dive of the day was the second one. My dive buddy and I had to plan out a dive, then go and have a fun dive for the rest of our air. We swam along the edge of the quarry, checking out the rocks and the fish (all bluegills, but there are some bass, I just didn't see any). Keeping a visual reference with the lines in the rock layers made it a lot easier to keep a consistent depth. We spent 45 minutes, and I had a great time.

Weather Permitting, I'll be diving with a different group, (local dive store) at a quarry (Pennyroyal Scuba Center) that has an area that's 14-30 feet deep, so it will be interesting to have a hard bottom below me.

I'm doing my Advanced OW with the group I'm diving with at Pennyroyal. They are a bit more convenient for me, and a much shorter drive to the dive site. It will also be interesting to compare trainer styles, since as a trainer myself I know that each trainer brihgs his own style to the material.

Long term goal.... absolutely to get the Rescue Diver certification. I think that kind of knowledge is invaluable, not just to help someone else if a problem arises, but also for myself to help AVOID getting into a problem pit.

Steve

Good job. Getting to Rescue Diver is a great idea, one I always recommend. I did mine very early (26 dives). As long as you're comfortable with equipment and general diving (buoyancy, etc.) it's the right time IMHO. Re the compass--you may want to try "point to point" navigation. As is sounds, you follow a heading (set compass and follow lubber line, or just "go NE, etc.), set your lubber line to a fixed point you can see (the farther away the better). Then re-check the compass when you get to that point & find another point. Won't work if the bottom is all the same of course. Tap the compass glass from time to time and if in salt water beware that currents make a big difference.

Welcome! I also took AOW early (6 dives after OW), had fun, and learned a lot. Any easy dives you fit in before AOW will help. Quarry dives with a club are great for that. Basically, if you get more practice with the basics, the AOW material will be easier to learn and remember. Worst case, if you take AOW right after OW, you might not pass. Or, you might just barely pass and then want to take the specialties again later, with more practice under your belt. That's not such a bad thing, though; taking more classes is fun. Just remember that AOW is an advanced beginner class, not really an advanced class, and you'll be fine.

My husband was ready for Rescue about 25 dives in; I feel ready now, after about 40. It's a good goal somewhere around that 25-50 dive range.

Welcome! I also took AOW early (6 dives after OW), had fun, and learned a lot. Any easy dives you fit in before AOW will help. Quarry dives with a club are great for that. Basically, if you get more practice with the basics, the AOW material will be easier to learn and remember. Worst case, if you take AOW right after OW, you might not pass. Or, you might just barely pass and then want to take the specialties again later, with more practice under your belt. That's not such a bad thing, though; taking more classes is fun. Just remember that AOW is an advanced beginner class, not really an advanced class, and you'll be fine.

My husband was ready for Rescue about 25 dives in; I feel ready now, after about 40. It's a good goal somewhere around that 25-50 dive range.

That's sort of my thinking. I want to get my skill set to the point where I'm really going to benefit from the training and content of the AOW. I've got the book, so I've been reading up on the various sections, but without getting more 'instinctual' in the water, I think I'd not get the full benefit from the AOW Class.

I'm not slighting my OW training by any means. It's just that while they can introduce basic skills, and help us practice them, the only way I can actually start to master them is by doing them, again and again. I'm lucky in a way, I actually ENJOY practice on things. I'm just as happy hitting golf balls at the range, really working on my swing as playing a round. I'm just as happy on my lathe doing exercises to keep my skills sharp or learn a new technique as I am making something. I suspect that I'll be very happy for a while to just stay in the shallower part of the quarry and really learn how to move and dive with efficiency and safety.

Steve

The difficulty of maintaining a direction of movement and constant depth is one I've not worked through yet, and a good lesson in how limited multi-tasking can be underwater. Good to remember in the future when you change your gear, try something new, etc...

You will like the shallow section at Pennyroyal - diving close to 20 feet deep with a lot of sunken attractions. Over the ledge is a steep drop off with some more sunken attractions, like the sunken white van and old time fire truck.

Richard.

Congratulations!

Just remember that the only way to get good at this sport is to do it often, and that getting good at it pays off in much increased enjoyment. There are lots of resources, here on SB and elsewhere, to give you a mental picture of what you would like to be able to do . . . go do your quarry diving and work on getting there!

Congratulations TN Steve. You have the perfect attitude- now the REAL learning begins. Buoyancy, navigation, trim, all scuba skills are honed and perfected in one way- by repetition. Every dive you do will make you a better diver. My tip on compass navigation: trust the compass. Best wishes for hundreds ( or more) of great dives in the years to come.
Divemaster Dennis

Congratulations..........now dive dive dive.

Congratulations, I am a year into my diving adventure and like you, set out to improve my skills so far so good, each dive is a chance to learn and get better, oh and have some fun. I am much more equipped to be a better diver a better buddy and enjoy it more. Keep learning and keep having fun.

Thanks to all the great support. I think the thing that I've found that best sums up the kind of diver I DON'T want to be is Crowley's blog entry. It's not Diving, it's Drowning with Style. I don't want to be "That Person", and for you PADI folks, I don't want to be the guy in the plaid shorts and shirt from the videos. :)

My goal, to become the kind of diver that people say, "Hey, I want to dive with Steve", not "You're Late... Steve's your buddy today".

So looking forward to going to Pennyroyal this weekend, I really imagine that having a bottom I can reference while in the water will help me develop my buoyancy skills.

I'm curious, in Cycling a clueless newbie or a poser is sometimes refered to as a "Phred" or "Fred" (although people who use "Fred" are actually Phreds themselves), is there an equivalent term in diving. I guess the one I've heard the most used is CN or CFN.

Thanks

Steve

Back
Top Bottom