Another wing size question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theLeakyMask

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I am 5'10, 156lb, using a 3mm wet suit, and usually need around 8 - 12 lb weight depending on cylinder (11 litre SS or AL). In winter I am going to have to switch to a 5mm suit, but I don't know how much weight I will need then yet.

I am planning to get a kydex plate, but I am not sure about the wing size. Any recommendation?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am 5'10, 156lb, using a 3mm wet suit, and usually need around 8 - 12 lb weight depending on cylinder (11 litre SS or AL). In winter I am going to have to switch to a 5mm suit, but I don't know how much weight I will need then yet.

I am planning to get a kydex plate, but I am not sure about the wing size. Any recommendation?

Thanks!

At 5'10" you need a medium plate.

A better choice is a Stainless Plate. Right now you are using 8-12 lbs with a 3mm suit and you plan to get a *More* buoyant 5mm suit. You need the ballast provided by a SS plate.

Remember the dry travel weight of a Kydex plate is only a bit over 3 lbs less than for a SS plate.

With no buoyancy numbers for your 5mm suit I'll have to guess a bit on wing size. The LCD 20 *might* be a bit too small, making the Torus 26 a reasonable choice.

Recap:

Medium SS Plate
Torus 26
Hogarthian Harness
(cambands and wedge blocks are included)

Tobin

Thanks for the quick reply!

I forgot to mention that I have been using a rental jacket-style BC that is positively buoyant even when not inflated up to now. I don't have any concrete numbers, but I think that just by switching to a BP/W I would need less ballast. I wonder if SS plate might be too much.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I forgot to mention that I have been using a rental jacket-style BC that is positively buoyant even when not inflated up to now. I don't have any concrete numbers, but I think that just by switching to a BP/W I would need less ballast. I wonder if SS plate might be too much.

The typical BC is about 3-4 lbs positive when the bladder is empty.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom