• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by lowviz, Feb 23, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Those products are removing the mold release agents or are they just creating a barrier?

2. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I think perhaps both

3. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I got some new masks recently. I burned them and then cleaned the soot off with a Magic Eraser. No fogging so far.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. wnissen

wnissen Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Unless you are a chemist, I would stay away from any reactive chromium compounds. Using a shotgun to keep squirrels out of the yard is probably effective in the short term, too, but your aim had better be spot on.

5. chillyinCanada

Not positive but think you may have stumbled upon a Russian sense of humour here.

tridacna and FreeFlyFreak like this.
  6. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    how does a lighter damage glass? Note I did not say blowtorch.....lighters are perfectly fine and in actual fact the very best way to eliminate everything off the glass.

people say oh noes it will damage the skirt... the little heat there if it DID damage a skirt would be visibly evident.....

7. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

Try this for storage: Clean them with soapy water and dry with a freshly laundered all cotton fabric. apply a VERY thin coating of your fav defog agent and let it dry out on the lenses.
    Chromium: Health benefits, sources, and potential risks Not all chromium is bad, the highly oxidized states of it are, though. I believe that such drastic measures are not necessary for dive masks.
    Could be. :)

Chromerge was a 'rite of passage' for anyone dealing with clean glassware. Chemists would trade stories of holey clothes and lab coats. The stuff works...

All: I have eight new masks. The more I mess with them the less 'new' they are. Apologies for moving so slowly, but I want the most that I can get from this very rare opportunity.

couv and АлександрД like this.
  8. chillyinCanada

That's not going to be an ideal situation for me.

My defog is my personalized product containing my DNA. I have tried others and don't like them; even baby shampoo irritates my eyes.

But now I'm unsure how to prep my newest mask. Do I do it the way that I always have done or not do that because no longer good for the mask or just what? I shall ponder this.

9. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

So is mine. I'm working on something at the moment but not ready to post.

The idea is to form and keep the hydroxyl groups (on the glass) intact during storage. Suggestion: Wash whatever storage stuff off before the dive and forget it was ever there.

10. FreeFlyFreak

FreeFlyFreak Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Decisions, decisions.

I got a new DGX frameless mask to try a few weeks ago. Its not a perfect fit on my face, but I think it might work. I'll need a few more dives to decide. I do love the field of view though, it is a vast improvement on my scubapro.

However fogging was an issue on my first shallow dive with it. I toothpasted it 3 times when I got it, and used spit as usual, which worked on my scubapro mask, but not on the frameless DGX.

Toothpasted it some more, then yesterday after reading this thread remember I had a Magic Eraser under the sink. Used dish soap and the Mr Clean Magic eraser, scrubbed until it was squeaky clean, rinsed thoroughly.

Hope it works.

lowviz, couv, drrich2 and 2 others like this.