Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered a new mask, and an curious if a consensus was ever found on the best way to clean the mask...I would love to go through all of this, but 68 pages is a bit much :)

Was a best way to clean ever found?

I just ordered a new mask, and an curious if a consensus was ever found on the best way to clean the mask...I would love to go through all of this, but 68 pages is a bit much :)

Was a best way to clean ever found?

Still a current thread and efforts are still being made to answer this very question. Stay tuned!!

@Compressor,

Ever since your first post, I have been struggling to see how sand would give a good result. Check this out:

scratch glass.jpg

Scratching glass:

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0022309317302521-gr4_lrg.jpg

You are microstructuring the glass surface much like ammonia is supposed to!

@dogbone: Dishwasher, household ammonia (exact details are now being determined), dishwasher to keep your mask clean.

Antifog. Baby shampoo.

(With a footnote: We are messing with a polymer that may be a good addition to baby shampoo for prolonging the useful lifetime between antifog treatments.)

Sounds reasonable, but I still favor household ammonia...

I was just thinking that one could do a Dremel treatment in a hour, instead of a week. And be pretty sure of controlling exact what part of the mask is affected, without any worry of making plastic brittle and having it break on you randomly during a dive (which is now my concern). But, a gel would be really great!

So, I have a question that's been on my mind for a while and comes from early on in this thread.

I recently bought an Atomic Sub-frame mask that has removable lenses. Does this mask not need the usual burn/scrub treatments that my frameless mask needed? It was stated way at the beginning that only frameless masks need this treatment if I remember correctly. I haven't had a chance to dive this mask yet and haven't done anything to the lenses, yet so now I'm wondering if I should (other than the normal Sea Gold drops, of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom