anti fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mask got all foggy after I left it alone sad in its box for a long time...I used tooth ‎paste when I first bought it...but before my last dive I just filled the sink with fresh water ‎and gave it a good bath. Is it better to use toothpaste the day before the dive?‎

Do you put the (no jell) toothpaste on in dry? For how long? ‎

I'm not thinking to use spray for now but I will if this didn’t work well.‎

Save the toothpaste for your pearly whites. The best no fog that I've found is McNett's Sea Gold. Use it as directed on the label and you'll be fine and free of that nice minty smell in your mask.

anyone try rain-x? works good on my truck wonder how it will work on my mask..lol

I use Pesodent. Just before a dive, wet the mask. Rub some paste around & rinse it out good. Don't let it dry. Put it on & dive.

A lot of folks use a 50/50 mix of water & baby shampoo. Haven't tried it yet but it makes sense it would work. The reason for *baby* shampoo is so it won't sting your eyes if there's any left in the mask.

I've tried it all. The store stuff is ok, but expensive. Toothpaste (gel) is ok too, but by the time I rinse it out well enough to see, it seems like it's gone. I guess my spit isn't as "thick" as everyone elses. Besides, I always seem thirsty. I've used cat crap. I snow ski and use it alot for that. Again, it isn't cheap. My favorite is baby shampoo. Straight out of the bottle. Put it in and let it dry completely. Then, rinse it out just enough to see. Sometimes, I still have a few bubbles in my mask, but hey... it's baby shampoo! (and the bubbles go away quickly) Guess, I should try this for snow skiing too.

when you guys talk about the intitial cleaning do you do the outside as well?

I didn't. That side it wet anyway.

Fog-Not is the best. It lasts for several rinses. Not in many stores, yet.
It's available at http://fog-not.com

Please try it! It's a completely different approach to the scuba mask fogging issue.

You never need to use "toothpaste", which by-the-way puts micro-scratches on the glass!

I also tried using my glasses (tri-focals) inside my mask! It worked ok, but the 3 fogged surfaces is what got me to invent Fog-Not!

after a good initial cleaning (you got many good solutions offered above) the (baby) shampoo or even dishwashing liquid version works very well (most hotels on your vacation trips will supply it free in handy miniture bottles :)). the other big secret is camelspit! hard to come by in most areas, but it works like a charme ROFL!
i know of one company in the caribbean that actually started to put a certain shampoo wholesale brand from 20gal containers into 1 ounce bottles and relable them, making a fortune (as far as i can imagine) without a complaint yet. no names called, you let me know, when you figure it out :p!!!! :wink:
happy fogfree diving, sven

Wow. Old thread.

One thing I never saw any mention of: Don't bother scrubbing out the inside of your mask if you have prescription lenses. Only the plain glass from the mask company has the silicon layer on it that needs removal. Custom-ground prescription lenses don't have it.

Oh, and just spit, for crissakes. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom