anti fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bzkajo

Reaction score
whats good to use to prevent a mask from fogging up?besides spit i mean.

fog is condensation forming on tiny particles of dirt in your mask, so the first line of defense is to clean it thoroughly... I use toothpaste (not the gel kind). It also has the benefit of leaving your mask minty fresh!

In fact, I do not need defog when my mask is clean like that. If it is a few dives between cleanings, spit works well for me (great quote from a fellow diver "the greener the goo, the better the view") and I also use seadrops gold.

The defog helps the water droplets roll off the dirt on the mask...

Ken

partridge:
Baby shampoo. Some people water it down but I dont. I apply it to a clean dry mask and wash it off before getting in the water.

watering it down just makes it last longer...

If you didn't clean with toothpaste when you first got the mask and then used defog, toothpaste might not work.

You might want to try Sea Buff Mask Cleaner. (It is semi-abrasive to break down silicone, but will not scratch your mask). LeisurePro's got it here: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSBF.html

Another good pre-cleaner is 500psi Mask Scrub, I actually think it's a little better than Sea Buff but I can't find it on the web. Your LDS might have it.

Rub either one of these firmly into your mask, let sit for a minute or two, rinse clean, and repeat once or twice more. (The first time takes off whatever is already one there, the scond time really gets into the glass).

Sea Gold anti-fog gel is great. I've tried others and still had fogging problems, but this stuff works great for me. Check your LDS or the net. Apx. $5 for a little bottle which should last you a long time.

As soon as I get to the dive site (or right after a dive), I put it on my mask and let it sit while I'm getting everything ready. By the time I'm ready to strap on my mask, I swish some water in it & go. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Three parts to this puzzle. Miss one, and nothing works.

Part 1: Whe you first buy the mask, ya goitta get rid of the silicone coating. Nice and shiny while its on the store display, but unless you go nucular on this coating, you'll never have a clear mask. This is the job or the toothpaste everyone talks about, or better yet, soft scrub. Clean it, rinse, then clean it a couple of more times.

Part 2: Before each dive: Use the stuff. Sure you can buy magic stuff for $7-8 per ounce, and when yo read the label it says Do Not Get in or Near Your Eyes! But baby shampoo or even Joy dishwashing liquid is just as good. Each and every dive.

Part 3: When do I use it? Here is the sneaky part. For baby shampoo or other goop to work, it has to be applied while the lens is dry, and better yet, a while before you dive. Way too many people dip the mask into the mask bucket on the boat, and THEN apply the goop. Too Late - there's no surface for the goop to cling to. If you are diving on Saturdfay morning, apply the goop Friday pm, and let it dry. Just before you dive on Saturday, wash it out, and your mask will stay crystal clear.

Remember to use all three parts, and you'll never have a foggy mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom