anti fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staticcornflake:
SoftScrub will scratch some precison masks becuse of its abrasivness.
Good point. Soft Scrub is excellent for removing silicone and other slimies from glass lenses and skirts, but should not be used if the mask has a corrective lense or film layered onto the lense. Similarly, for swimming goggles and other masks that are not used for diving (i.e., that do not have tempered glass) SoftScrub can leave scratches.

bzkajo:
whats good to use to prevent a mask from fogging up?besides spit i mean.

All the product work. Buy what you can that is cheap and local

Spit works just as good especially if you add a little chew.

I've tried everything.

"500 PSI" is the only product that works well, IMHO.

After cleaning the inside of the mask, I prefer 500 PSI or Viz 2000 defogs. Both work great and you can even apply if your mask is wet. Be sure to apply it to the inside of the lens. Laugh if you want, I've see people applying it to the outside.

The defog product offered by Sea-Vision USA works wonderfully. It does, however, sting the eyes a bit if too much is used and not rinsed properly (my wife's complaint).

We made up for her a batch of Johnson's Baby Shampoo (No More Tears) and water in a 3:2 ratio of shampoo to water and put it in a small spray bottle - it works as good as the Sea-Vision product and she loves it!

the K

500 PSI mask defog works great!

Rec Diver:
500 PSI mask defog works great!
I have read this a good defog, but I have never been able to use it sucessfully. How do you apply it? I followed the label instructions, rubbed it in, rinsed it off and it fogs within minutes of hitting the water. I tried several times, same results, gave up, and bought some sea drops.

chuck e:
I have read this a good defog, but I have never been able to use it sucessfully. How do you apply it? I followed the label instructions, rubbed it in, rinsed it off and it fogs within minutes of hitting the water. I tried several times, same results, gave up, and bought some sea drops.

First; make sure all manufacturing residue has been removed from mask. I apply sparingly to dry mask. Let defog sit until dry as well. Clean mask and visible residue by rinsing in lake water or clean water. If upon entry there appears to be some addtional film, which sometimes there is, I just remove my mask and rinse again. After that I can go on diving without an issue. I can usually get at least two dives from one application. I have two masks from two different manufactures, 500 PSI defog works equally well on both. I will also note that most of my dives are typically in water less than 50 degrees. I hope this helps.

Most of the defog products work, but what really gets my goat is when divers put the defog onto the mask, and then wade around with the mask on their arm, and their arm underwater. After the (mask) in water briefing, they are back to square on- no defog.

There was this product - looked like a clump of orange wax - that people with glasses used to rub on their lenses and they swore by it for preventing fogging. I saw it being demonstrated at some department store several years ago and ignored it along with the other products from the "As Seen On TV" line.

I am curious. Has anyone tried this or similar products and if it works, where do you find it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom