Anxiety disorder and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think regardless of what the end answer is it will come with a talk to a doctor and MOST IMPORTANTLY how you feel before you do it. If you are not feeling right about what you are doing you should follow you thoughts. You may find that your initial thought of fear had no basis and enjoy your dive. However you may panic when you dive. Nobody really knows and you will likely find the answer in how you feel. Nobody better than you can really predict if you will be fine or panic. I take a lot of Xanax - sometimes 4mg before diving. I find dives relaxing. Sometimes I also take 4 mg of Xanax in a social situation and am not comfortable at all. You will find what you are most comfortable with. I am certainly not advocating taking Xanax while diving but only that it works for me. It could certainly have a negative affect. I agree with freewhillie who said Xanax typically has one part that acts like a sedative. I also don't think that people who don't need the drugs understand exactly how it affects your mind. Xanax certainly doesn't make me feel tired. I have given one to a friend who was freaking at his kids birthday party. He felt better but needed to take a nap soon after the party. Our brains are all unique and act different to that class of drugs. I would also point out that valium and Xanax are pretty far from the same. Valium doesn't do anything to me. Actually makes me feel sick. End point is that some of these work for me but they might not work for you. Talk to your doctor about how you feel and listen to your body. Your body will ultimately tell you what you should do and not do. Some doctors get it and I've had doctors dog on me cause of my condition. Don't let one doctor keep you from feeing normal even if it isn't while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom