Anxiety disorder and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scbodc

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Several years ago, I suddenly experienced some physical symptoms, which after several negative medical test results was claimed to be due to some kind of anxiety disorder. They say it's panic disorder due to the fact that it occurs for no reason, even though it's more like sudden annoying physical symptoms rather than panicking. Of course the first few times involved some degree of panic too, due to heart-based-symptoms. After a year or two, the symptoms were significantly reduced, and the last few years it hasn't really bothered me in my daily life. Of course, it's annoying, but it usually lasts a few seconds, and I know what it is, so it doesn't bother me. I even know how to help the symptoms to go away quickly.
The 'attacks' are not caused by stressful situations - but occurs at any time.

I feel that I am in control of it now, but would like to hear your opinion on getting an OWD certificate ? Should I most definitely stay away from it, or is it okay, starting slowly to ensure it does not set off new attacks in itself ?
Of course instructor and diving buddies should be told in advance, so that they are prepared if something more serious should happen.
From what I can see, several divers encounter such panic attacks at some time during their diving experience, but continue with caution ?

Have you seen a professional recently about this? Reason I ask is on the medical statement you must fill out you'll need to answer that this has happened and that will require a doctor's clearance to receive any training.

I know from a "try scuba diving" dive, my 'normal' doctor will most likely sign it, but say that he really has no experience about it. So I contacted a couple of diving speciality doctors. One pretty much said no, the other that with caution, it would probably be ok. Both agreed that they really cannot say something for sure, since they do not know what I feel and how I react. They can only trust what I say. Today I really only feel "oh, there it is" and it's gone, and could be months in between each 'attack'. Not really panicking or trying to run a way from the situation - it's just annoying.

Basically I want to hear experiences from divers who have such attacks themselves, or knows some diver who has.

I have suffered from Anxiety Disorder my entire life. I'm talking serious panic attacks when I was in college. I no longer deal with it Thank God! I dove around 200-300 times during the height of my attacks. It was not an issue.

For many ppl anxiety disorder means irrational fear at unpredictable times. Most of these individuals handle "real" stressful situations appropriately.

However you have to be honest with yourself. Panic can get you hurt or killed and the same results for your dive buddy. I don't see anything wrong with getting certified to see how you do as long as you are honest with yourself. You will likely feel anxious bc most ppl do. SCUBA goes against every natural instinct so it feels weird at first.

Now I personally find solo diving one of the most stress reducing activities I do. However when I suffered from anxiety I would not have been comfortable doing it.

Don't let anxiety change your life. Learn to manage it and conquer it. It can be a tough thing to do but if I did it anyone can!

Also take everything ppl tell you with a grain of salt unless they have been through anxiety/panic disorder. I find most ppl have no clue what it really entails and what that diagnosis really means. It is very unlikely you would do anything stupid underwater from the disorder but I don't know your history well enough to guarantee it. Lol

Good luck and shoot me a pm I'd you want to discuss this!

Bob

While experience is different for each person, anxiety attacks are an issue. Discuss the matter with your doctor, and determine if there is a preventive medication that will diminish risk without negatively impacting you mental awareness ( low dose ativan, for example). Also, consider doing a "scuba diver" certification, where you can dive with a licensed and insured professional to limited depths. After some diving of that nature, you may find symptoms under control, and be ready to go on to open water certification, but ALWAYS dive with a competent, and in you case, very experienced buddy.
DivemasterDennis

While experience is different for each person, anxiety attacks are an issue. Discuss the matter with your doctor, and determine if there is a preventive medication that will diminish risk without negatively impacting you mental awareness ( low dose ativan, for example). Also, consider doing a "scuba diver" certification, where you can dive with a licensed and insured professional to limited depths. After some diving of that nature, you may find symptoms under control, and be ready to go on to open water certification, but ALWAYS dive with a competent, and in you case, very experienced buddy.
DivemasterDennis

This is a personal opinion, not professional. Do not start anxiolytics for symptoms you perceive infrequent and otherwise controllable and that do not otherwise interfere in your life. The side effects, risks and negligible benefit does not out weigh the minor (as you report it) nature of your symptoms.

As for diving, if you can get clearance and have a buddy and instructor that agrees...go for it.

Personally I am on Xanax for anxiety, panic, etc. Never have panicked underwater. Xanax does not make me feel high or loopy as some might think. It simply makes me feel normal like everybody else and takes off the edge. I am certainly not suggesting this is the answer for you as everybody is different and if you don't need something like Xanax it WILL make you feel loopy, etc. Just something to think about. Maybe talk to your doctor about. Whatever they give you for panic you should make sure it doesn't make you feel loopy as that and water wouldn't be a good combination. Ultimately I think it's going to be a decision between you and your doctor. Panic underwater would not be good. I bet you can figure this out with a little medication if you approach it right.

I thought anxiety disorders are specific to situations,like for example social or public speaking. So a person with social phobia should not have a problem diving.. unless he discovers he it's having problems signaling his buddy.. :)

Of course if you have a fear of water then it's not recommended.

Personally I believe talking up challenging activities that don't trigger phobias can boost self esteem and improve one's condition over time.

Sent from my GT-N7000

The short answer is that it depends on how often and how severe the panic attacks are. For frequent panic attacks then it would be a significant contraindication to dive. Current recommendations are that you are free of attacks for at least 6 months to 1 year.

Mild attacks that are self limiting, do not require medications, and last for very short time probably okay to dive especially if attacks have know factors that trigger the attack and have not happened in 6 months or more.

Severe attacks that are debilitating you should not dive. Especially if they are frequent and more concerning do not have a trigger.

Medications can be used to treat panic and anxiety but generally will affect your thinking and would be advised against using them and diving. If you are on one of the antidepressant/antianxiety meds like a Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, or Celexa to name a few it would be a relative contraindication and only if you have been on them for a long time, no recent adjustments in dose, and they do not affect your ability to perform motor tasks. The other benzodiazepine drugs are essentially variations of Valium and have the names like Ativan, Xanax, and Klonopin. They are pure sedatives and I would not recommend diving under the influence of these drugs even if you have taken them and know how it affects you.

Good luck.

I am on Prozac for anxiety/depression and I dive. No problems. Hell, the diving is a de-stressor and improves the mood usually. I had a doctor sign off on my medical statement as I just became a Type 2 diabetic but my blood sugar is controlled w/o meds. I checked yes to diabetes on the questionnaire online, then went back and checked no; well it registered my 1st answer, so I was forced to get a sign-off.

Anyway, he prescribed me Prozac on the same visit for the anxiety/depression. As everyone said, it's best to get a doctor's opinion as a disclaimer. I was going to dive regardless because I'm the type of person that will assume the risk and ultimately be responsible for myself. I wanted to dive and nothing was going to stop me. That's not always the right attitude to have, but that's how I felt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom