Any Divers with Tinnitus??(ringing in the ears)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got it pretty good in my right ear. I have noticed that it is not nearly as loud when I am diving.
I used to have trouble sleeping because of the ringing. Then I bought a white noise machine. The best money I have ever spent. If you have trouble sleeping for any reason, I would urge you to try it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's well worth it. You can even download white noise CDs or MP3's for a cheaper alternative, or to try it before you buy it.
Mine has all sorts of settings from just raw white noise, to ocean waves, to thunder storms. I am amazed at how much better I sleep now.
I am not sure if it will help every one with tinnitus, but it helped mask mine, so that I can get a good night sleep.
Good luck to every one out there!

Have a friend who uses a rickety noisy box fan.

I'm thinking of pool diving year round just to see if it could give relief . Anyone have a 60' deep pool???? the fan thing sounds ok I have to add water to make it really work for me.:D

I've had it as long as I can remember, and it's constant; I never hear silence. It is definitely worsened by exposure to loud noises, or noises of a certain high frequency. The noises vary -- sometimes roaring (if I'm about to get sick), usually ringing, sometimes the cicadas. It can move from one side to the other or be in both. It sometimes starts so abruptly on one side that I turn my head to see what it was before I realize it came from the inside. It interferes with my hearing to the extent that the internal noise sometimes drowns out the real noise from outside.

I use a box fan at night to provide a consistent background noise for my brain to lock onto, which tends to distract from the ringing. If the power is out and the fan is off, I can't sleep. I have found it helpful to watch TV with a low volume and closed-captioning on, because TV often aggravates it, especially crowd noises and certain other high-frequency sounds. If I forget and leave the TV on louder, it can get the ringing going so loudly that it's actually kind of painful.

It's important to come to terms with it and live with it as peaceably as possible, because the more you focus on it and stress about it, the more activated your nervous system becomes, which makes it louder. I figure it beats any number of far more serious physical maladies that I am fortunate not to have, and try not to focus on it much.

I don't recall noticing it while diving, probably as others have said, due to having something far better to think about. I haven't noticed any difference with Nitrox or without. I am least likely to notice it when thoroughly engaged with whatever I'm doing, so I think the best strategy is to just do really cool stuff as much of the time as possible. :wink:

Like I said before I'm 3 years new to it , it was worse in the begining I'm still trying to adjust,
But I feel there is some kind of non-evasive cure.I know there is an evasive cure but its out of the question right now for me,They implant a metal wire into the part of your brain the might be the cause for the ring and use electric stim to control the issue. I was ready for it in the begining
now I heard too many stories about it so for now I'm trying to deal with it.Diving seams to be a new sport that has become relief now how to make it happen more offen and at what cost??????
(work for a living underwater for the rest of my life):D

I have had it for 3+ yrs. I had a rapid ascent and ever since have had ringing in left ear. Then, due to too much time at bars and concerts, I have it in both ears. It is brutal when things are quite. Background noise is my friend. When diving, I notice it 10x worse during a dive because its quite, generally. Then after a dive for a couple days, it is worse as well.

I have had it for 3+ yrs. I had a rapid ascent and ever since have had ringing in left ear. Then, due to too much time at bars and concerts, I have it in both ears. It is brutal when things are quite. Background noise is my friend. When diving, I notice it 10x worse during a dive because its quite, generally. Then after a dive for a couple days, it is worse as well.

Do you use a rebreather ? I find it very noisy when Im under It really helps ,but Im not sure if its pressure,No2, or the surroundings that makes it go away??:confused:
If I had a rebeather to find out if it one of thee above then I could be on the right road to a great masker.:idk:

Dived yesterday and forgot to make note.

I remember well when I realized I had an issue. Was on holiday with the family in a hotel. Woke up in the wee hours and WTF!

GP flushed my ears. Then sent me to an ENT who sent me to a neurologist. I am not going to die. Suck it up and move on.

Have since learned that Mom's sister has it as well as Bill Shatner. LOL

Now this is interesting.

I've been working in the yard all day. Drinking mass quantities of beer. I realize as I sit here now, I got nothing!

Did you use anything with a loud motor???

Last edited:
No.

Electric edger and mower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom