anybody going between xmas and new years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, how much of the town is up and running that week? Do most dive ops run boats on Christmas day and New Years day? Restaurants? Any cruise ships?

Thanks,

PH

Curious about the above also, we are flying in on early on Christmas Day and out on New Years Day. Going to bite the bullet with $$$ flights from Kansas City, but it will be worth it!

I'm staying at Blue Angel and i was told that they only send one boat out that day and it is there larger boat. Also its not a normal dive trip, more festive and doesn't start til later instead of the usual 8 AM departure, more around 10 AM. Although its usually full and a great time, but this is just here-say.

Mike

Just curious, how much of the town is up and running that week? Do most dive ops run boats on Christmas day and New Years day? Restaurants? Any cruise ships?

Thanks,

PH

Here has been my experience GENERALLY. MMV. Very few ops run on Christmas day. Some may do but run late in the morning. You need to book and pay in advance. Tip heavily just as you might if being told to pull yourself from your family on a major religious holiday.

New Years is a bit less of an issue except that you want sober DMs and captains. Be clear on that. It's more holiday than religious.

Restaurants follow suite. We searched high and low for a place to eat Christmas morning/noon. We ended up selecting tacos made with brain, stomach, or tongue. Selected latter.

You'll do better New Years.

Thanks for the information on the food options on Christmas, we will not be getting in until late afternoon, so did not intend to dive, but will need to eat. Will make sure I have packed snacks, just in case. Not quite as brave as MMM, ofall taco's is most likely beyond my comfort zone.

Restaurants follow suite. We searched high and low for a place to eat Christmas morning/noon. We ended up selecting tacos made with brain, stomach, or tongue. Selected latter.
Tongue might not be so bad. You see that a lot in wienies and probly found in more drive-thru and ball park hot dogs that we'd care for. I'd be leery of the street vendor or an unknown cafe tho. In room or at home provisions would probly be a good idea.
Thanks for the information on the food options on Christmas, we will not be getting in until late afternoon, so did not intend to dive, but will need to eat. Will make sure I have packed snacks, just in case. Not quite as brave as MMM, ofall taco's is most likely beyond my comfort zone.
I always pack snacks for the flight. If your hotel has a cafe on site, you might ask if it will be serving that day.

Very few ops run on Christmas day. Some may do but run late in the morning. You need to book and pay in advance. Tip heavily just as you might if being told to pull yourself from your family on a major religious holiday.

I agree with the tipping advice. I would think that the op's could charge a premium for those religious holidays (Christmas and Easter) and be able to pass it on to which ever empolyees are willing to work it. In my line of work we often have staff that want to work the holidays for the extra pay.

The food situation doesn't sound to promising though. Sounds bad for the travelers that are not staying at AI's or don't have a kitchen. I would think that the lone restaurant that stayed open in the square would do really well.

PH

well, last year Mau organized a night dive at midnight. In the water by 11:45, playing with an octopus at midnight.
What a way to bring in the new year...I loved it. And it was my first night dive. waaaaaaay cool.

Pack a couple of those Healthy Choice Pasta meals in your luggage. I mean the ones that are dry and usually in the soup aisle. Add water and nuke.

Pack a couple of those Healthy Choice Pasta meals in your luggage. I mean the ones that are dry and usually in the soup aisle. Add water and nuke.
What if you don't have a microwave? I don't know that I have ever seen one in Coz - certainly not in room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom