Anybody know anything about the dive boat that sunk this morning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google scuba drybag....yes, they are watertight if properly closed! And I'm assuming the boat goes down in relatively shallow waters.

If it doesn't have o-rings, I'll bet money that most "drybags" will flood if submerged more than a few minutes. Their intended purpose is to keep things dry on the boat, protected from spray and rain and perhaps falling overboard and quickly scooped up. They are not intended to take with you on a dive. If it doesn't have a depth rating, it isn't intended to be submerged.

If it doesn't have o-rings, I'll bet money that most "drybags" will flood if submerged more than a few minutes. Their intended purpose is to keep things dry on the boat, protected from spray and rain and perhaps falling overboard and quickly scooped up. They are not intended to take with you on a dive. If it doesn't have a depth rating, it isn't intended to be submerged.
I tested mine with a cell phone to 60 ft on three dives....phone wasn't even damp. Also placed some tissues in there and they remained dry. YRMV.....lol.

Have a link to the product you used?

Have a link to the product you used?
Along these lines...not sure my exact make, but I'll check tonight when I get home. If you dive with one (which I don't) make sure all the air is compressed out....or add a few lbs of weight...lol

Armor Dry Bag

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but that sinking boat looks too far offshore to be in shallow water. Since it was recovered, though, it must have been closer to shore than it appears in the pix.

It's just the camera angle. It sank near Tormentos reef. The photo is taken looking almost north, more like northeast I suppose. If you were to swing the camera 90 degrees and face straight towards the island you'd see it wasn't too far off shore.

A high-capacity bilge pump would be able to keep up with the total failure of a shaft seal.

A high-capacity bilge pump would be able to keep up with the total failure of a shaft seal.

What I find interesting is after each of the past several boat sinking here they've all blamed a malfunctioning bilge pump. That's not exactly true, IMHO. A bilge pump is only good to remove water from inside the boat. It's failure has nothing to do with why water actually got into the boat. It's not like the pump died and the boat began taking on water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom