Anyone else hate the word "newbie"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Im not the only one who thinks it's childish!!!! I can die happy now!!

What's wrong with "novice?"

"Newbie" does sound like the person using the word never got out of elementary school.

Nothing wrong with novice at all. Use it in good health!

Newbie has the childish ring because of the -ie ending, but I think that makes it descriptive since us newbies may be more prone to naive mistakes. We don't hold kids in contempt for what they don't know, so I don't read it as insulting because it sounds like a kid's word.

I hate almost all labels. Something like newbie not only servers the purpose of reminding you that you know nothing but it also benefits the speaker by letting him/her pint out to themselves and the world that they are just so much more then you. But that's just my take on it-now stop asking stupid questions newbie.

it's a word, I am more concerned with the idea that people are overly sensitive to words and we have to use terms like "mobility challenged" to designate the area of the airport train where priority is given to the elderly and people that have problems walking. When we were kids we were taught that sticks and stones thing.....I think people should go back to that idea. There are people out there that are new at things, like most things, you need a word to describe them. No matter how much you try to make it non-offensive phrase, doesn't it mean the same thing?

No, you need some word to describe novices. Whatever word was used some people would still use it condescendingly.

I dislike when 'protecting' newbies is used to filter information though.

What's FNG?

A word to describe novices? Like uh novice? :)

Life is all about either growth or death. A tree is either growing or it is dieing. If you are not learning, you are not growing. I am proud to be a newbie.

I prefer "rookies" or "virgins".

Especially "virgins".

Hmmmm.

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

newbie can be condescending and is more commonly used by weak minded fxxck wits to describe anyone different from them or someone they feel threatened by.
Only acceptable if used by Mike Franks when talking to Jethro Gibbs or people with similar rapport.

newbie can be condescending and is more commonly used by weak minded fxxck wits to describe anyone different from them or someone they feel threatened by.
Only acceptable if used by Mike Franks when talking to Jethro Gibbs or people with similar rapport.

That's "Probie", but same diff.:D While I agree that words ending in 'e' sounds often sound childish, I've always considered newbie, newb (or even n00b) to just be a short form of "inexperienced person at this task/job". Some undoubtedly use it as an insult, but to me it's just descriptive, and rolls off the tongue easier than beginner or novice.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom