Anyone have experience with the Zeagle SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi_alx

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm thinking of getting a finger spool and a depth deployable SMB. (I already have the Akona orally inflated one but it's small and doesn't have an over pressure release valve.)

I want an "open-circuit" one (don't want to mess with LP hoses / whips). I've seen the OMS one but is 50lbs of lift too much? (I'm about 120lbs and wear 17lbs of weight with a single tank and 14mm neoprene on my torso)

Anyone have experience with the Zeagle SMB?

http://zeagle.chainreactionweb.com/..._Tube_Deluxe_Detail_Page&category=Accessories

It has 22lbs lift - will this be enough for me to "hang on"?

Thanks

alx

I just bought the 50lb oms. I have yet to use it in the water so I can't comment on actual use. It is 2" longer, about 8" wide, orange (not fluorescent), rolls up to about 2 3/4" diameter, doesn't have built in velcro tabs for storage, and is a pain to fill by mouth (no oral inflator). I hope it's a lot easier to fill w/ a regulator. The one way valve works very well, in fact, I'm wondering if it can vent fast enough if it is overfilled at depth.

As far as lift, the smb isn't designed to keep you on the surface. Your bc should have sufficient lift to keep your head above water.

IMO, the smb is designed to be a marker first and a lift bag for anchors and whatnot second. The only time it should hold you up is in an emergency situation. If you don't need the lift, want something a little bit smaller, and don't think 1" of diameter will improve your visablity much, go for the zealge. How much does it cost?

BTW Carter makes one that has 35 lb of lift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom