Anyone not use wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xfive4x

Registered
Reaction score
My idea of a warm water dive involves wearing trunks and a rashguard under my BC. Does anyone else dive this simple setup? I just don't really like wearing wetsuits, and if I am in warm water I would prefer not to wear one. I understand they would protect one from abbrasions and such, but it would seem that proper buoyancy would eliminate the risk of abbrasions. Thoughts?

Protection from sun, sea-lice, jellies..and it hides my love handles.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave Zimmerly:
Protection from sun, sea-lice, jellies..and it hides my love handles.

Dave (aka "Squirt")
what he said - the best bouyancy control in the world won't protect you from stuff like jellies. A suit can help some against run-ins with from gear and boat stuff too.

That said, I have dove in a tshirt on occasion.

Walter:
I skip the rash guard in warm water. If you wear a wet suit or a sissy suit, you miss part of the experience.

Nest, you'll be saying "Real Men Dive Naked" :D

In the summer time I dive the local lakes/quarries with just swim trunks. No worries about stinging critters where I dive.

I did my open water dives in Aruba with just a swimming suit. No problems, water was 82 degrees. One of the instrctors also preferred to dive this way.

I live in FL and have to tell you that I have never been in the water w/o at least a 3mm suit. Despite proper buoyancy, which you think you may have, shuff happens. Years ago, w/o a wetsuit, I inadvertantly slammed into a reef and got cut up pretty good. It took a very long time to heal and I did wind up with a few infections.

Stick w/ a wetsuit, if not for the cold, then for the protection.

gangrel441:
Nest, you'll be saying "Real Men Dive Naked" :D

As close to it as culturally possible.

Diving is an experience that involves many senses - balance - sight - touch - taste - hearing - smell - cover your body when cold doesn't force the issue and you've handicapped yourself and lessened your enjoyment. I prefer diving warm water, not because I dislike dealing with cold, but because a wet or dry suit lessens my experience. In an exposure suit, you don't feel the gentle caress of the ocean. Sure, I get a jelly sting from time to time, but I get them in the winter when diving with a wet suit as well. If you prefer not to experience Mother Ocean gently holding you, wear a suit all the time, you won't offend me.

Back
Top Bottom