Anyone not use wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think men with really great chests should do it occasionally just to show off..

There is so much in the water that can sting you or worse that I always cover up from wrists to ankles to neck. A skin when it is 30 ish centigrade a 3mm when it gets a bit cooler.
When I did my GUE fitness swim in my speedos in the Philippines I was stung loads of times. Not nice.

gangrel441:
Nest, you'll be saying "Real Men Dive Naked" :D

but hopefully in a body of water i am not diving in at the moment eyebrow

catherine96821:
I think men with really great chests should do it occasionally just to show off..
I do, I do. In fact I lowered it so the short people could see it better. :D :D

Gary D.

I haven't worn a wetsuit in over 10 years, diving nearly every day. As others have said, wetsuits or a rashguard will protect you to different extents from stings & scrapes. With good bouyancy, unless you have nasty surge on a surf entry, you should be able to avoid hitting rocks, coral, etc. I get stung now & then by those invisible jellyfish or whatever, but for me the nuisance of wearing a wetsuit far outweighs the minor, very occasional stings I get. Other areas where the stinging creatures are more prevalent might change my opinion. So, for me, it's a swimsuit & a t-shirt. Once I get my "6-pack abs" again, I'd probably toss the t-shirt, ha ha.

My last Bonaire dive back in November dove with a rash guard and trunks in 82 degree water. Dive lasted 48 min and it felt good to be under without the neoprene wrapper. It also let me "moon" my dive buddy who is still suffering vision problems and nightmares from the experience.

Most of the time I wear only cotton coveralls.

Gosh, if only I could I would. I, like Walter, love feeling the caress of the ocean on my skin, enveloped in the warm salty water of the tropics. Dove in Jamaica in just a bathing suit and t-shirt, wished I could have scrapped the t-shirt but the dive outfit recommended it for BCD protection. For the night dive they recommended shorties, and to keep our dive lights turned off in the first 10 ft of water, as the jellies are attracted to the lights at night. That I found acceptable. But after diving here in California in 46-55 degree (F) water, needing approx. 12 mm of wetsuit protection (full wetsuit, hooded vest, gloves and booties), man, why would I wear something in the tropics? Been stung by a jelly before, swimming in Galveston, nothing that a bit of meat tenderizer can't cure. Surge pushed me into some coral in Maui once, little scrape on the knee.
I am so looking forward to diving again after not diving since October, and that was in Cabo (without a wetsuit), but just not looking forward into getting into that darn wetsuit again. But being a No. Cal. diver, you gotta dive what you got.

Back
Top Bottom