Anyone not use wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xfive4x:
My idea of a warm water dive involves wearing trunks and a rashguard under my BC. Does anyone else dive this simple setup? I just don't really like wearing wetsuits, and if I am in warm water I would prefer not to wear one. I understand they would protect one from abbrasions and such, but it would seem that proper buoyancy would eliminate the risk of abbrasions. Thoughts?
Protection from jellyfish, sea lice, cleaner wrasse nipping at your family jewels, etc.
Also if you do repeatative dives many people start to feel chilled in the later dives as you will lose body heat faster than you will likely replenish it, even in 86F water like I dive in.

MoonWrasse:
Protection from jellyfish, sea lice, cleaner wrasse nipping at your family jewels, etc.
Also if you do repeatative dives many people start to feel chilled in the later dives as you will lose body heat faster than you will likely replenish it, even in 86F water like I dive in.

I dive without a wetsuit in warm water...

When it comes to sea lice...(knock on formica)...the last time we encountered them, everyone with a wetsuit had rashes on their neck and wrists...several of us without wetsuits had nothing...go figure...The others on the boat didn't care for our observation that wetsuits seemed to attract the irritant...:D

In my case it might have something to do with haying...:D

You handle several thousand square bales in a short sleeve shirt and shorts...(What can I say, I like my comfort clothing...:D )...and the skin gets pretty resistant to external irritation...:D

I like doing the no wetsuit thing. But I get cold way too easily!

spectrum:
It is a very liberating experience. Buoyancy contol will be sooooo easy.

Pete

I am sooooo looking forward to that! :D The question is....will I be able to go back to chilly, low-viz, loads o' gear diving again? :06:

the vast majority of the locals who are dive guides here dive in shirts and t shirt 365...

i think only one of the local guides of 5 shops wears a suit

JulieParkhurst:
I dive only in my Bikini every chance I get.

And sometimes without it :05:
How often do you dive in that roxy little leatherette number with the pink lace up? And how do you feel about the phrase "cleaner wrasse nipping at the family jewels"?

JulieParkhurst:
I dive only in my Bikini every chance I get.

And sometimes without it :05:

Let's go diving!

Quero:
Guess I'm a wuss, then.

Actually, this is one of those things that varies with the individual. I simply get cold--apparently more than many people do.

Everyone needs thermal protection. We all have different levels at which we get cold. Come dive the Gulf in August. The water temp is higher than skin temp, you too will be able to experience the freedom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom