Anyone not use wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadiver5:
Tell them how you delivered the divemasters tip in Cozumel with that black suit on...:jump3:

No, that was a you had to be there to see it!

If anyone wants to see something like it they will just have to go on a trip with us...

Have never dove in anything but warm water and always just wear my t-shirt and trunks.

I used to dive bare belly but got one mighty fine fire coral hit in KL one year. That thing weeped fluid for a couple months. I always got fire coral hits, but this one was a real dandy. (Did I mention..fire coral hurts?)

Then I dove long sleve shirts and dockers pants. Found I needed suspenders to keep the pants up. There is more drag when wearing street clothes underwater. People look at you kind of funny too.

Started wearing a 2/3mm, surfer style $50 wetsuit. Makes me feel like a wuss but when I need to straddle a tube, horseback style, in current, on an oil rig and knife a struggling fish I'm a lot more comfortable about gripping the rig with my legs when I have some neoprene and fabric between my skin and the stinging stuff. Did it with dockers and bare skin for a long time too, but like neoprene better.

With pretty much all my diving being no warmer than 55, I'm sticking to a drysuit. Especially when it is down in the low 40s at each end of the season. Got to say I'd be lost in a semi dry or shortie - what would I do without my lovely pockets?? :-/

I started diving in a .5mil suit and loved the freedom, but not the cold. Now I'm in a 5mil or dry, but I keep thinking one of these days I'll have to try a dive (probably a very short one) in swim trunks and t-shirt. I did finally realize that the longer I dive, the less I move and the more I get cold.

Aloha, Tim

I always use some type of exposure suit, no matter where or the temperature of the water for many of the reasons already noted. Maybe one day in warmer waters again, I'll try the trunk method.

Dennis--

Usually dive with t-shirt over bathing suit or bathing suit only. I used to wear a slightly insulated skin, but those darn tiny invisible things would go after my face, so what the heck. I remember my days of cold water diving and feeling like that rubber tire man....just not my thing.

The least I will dive in is a 3mm shorty or sometimes a 3mm full. I even use 6mm boots in the Carribean. I haven't wussed out into a hood yet.

Like it's been said before, the less you move, the faster you get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom