Anyone not use wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been diving in a wetsuit. That being said, I've never been diving without my dry suit.

I'm going to PNG in May, which will be the first time I've ever been able to dive in less than a dry suit. I'm determined to do at least one dive as close to naked as possible, just because I can. :)

xfive4x:
My idea of a warm water dive involves wearing trunks and a rashguard under my BC. Does anyone else dive this simple setup? I just don't really like wearing wetsuits, and if I am in warm water I would prefer not to wear one. I understand they would protect one from abbrasions and such, but it would seem that proper buoyancy would eliminate the risk of abbrasions. Thoughts?

Diving sans coverage still opens you to certain stings and things. Of course it can be done. I made fresh water dive in my trunks right here in Maine, fresh water.

As for buoyancy control I guess it depends of close to perfect propper is, what you like to get close to and what unknowns happen.

Pete

Sure, lots of people dive with just a swimsuit and t shirt. Nowadays I use a rash guard type T shirt Sometimes I use those lycra suits if I fear there are jelly fish about. I hate--HATE---wetsuits. I do not like them Sam I am.

Why get in all the stupid rubber garb and get all over heated just for 80 degree plus water? N

Penopolypants:
I've never been diving in a wetsuit. That being said, I've never been diving without my dry suit.

I'm going to PNG in May, which will be the first time I've ever been able to dive in less than a dry suit. I'm determined to do at least one dive as close to naked as possible, just because I can. :)

It is a very liberating experience. Buoyancy contol will be sooooo easy.

Pete

Walter:
I skip the rash guard in warm water. If you wear a wet suit or a sissy suit, you miss part of the experience.

Guess I'm a wuss, then.

Actually, this is one of those things that varies with the individual. I simply get cold--apparently more than many people do.

I tried to dive Coz in a 3 mm shortie and ended up hypothermic. I needed a 5 mm full length to be comfortable, and even then felt chilled towards the end of the dives.

I never dive without a wetsuit, and the water where I live is very, very warm. I agree that the feel of the water brushing against bare skin is a pleasure of the senses, but I leave that for playing in the water on the surface.

I dive only in my Bikini every chance I get.

And sometimes without it :05:

xfive4x:
My idea of a warm water dive involves wearing trunks and a rashguard under my BC. Does anyone else dive this simple setup? I just don't really like wearing wetsuits, and if I am in warm water I would prefer not to wear one. I understand they would protect one from abbrasions and such, but it would seem that proper buoyancy would eliminate the risk of abbrasions. Thoughts?

I've got the wetsuits, but prefer the T-shirt and shorts whenever I can get away with it. Just use lots of sunscreen or baby oil to keep the stinging things away. Use your BC to make sure the fire coral stays below you. Ken :42:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom