Anyone taking bouyancy 1 at ScubaShack, CT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's another kudos on Ed's Buoyancy 1. I haven't taken it, but I've been in the pool enough times during them to watch MASSIVE improvements from the students... and they are having serious fun.

We've got a group of B1 and B2 graduates over at NEUE as well.

I wish it had been around before I took fundies (4 times) or when I learned to dive.

Any updates on thoughts from the class?

Shane

we have a pretty good group so the class is moving well. Overall thoughts.....glad I took it but seeing what we've done I do kinda wish I would have (or could have) just gone to B2. I'm sure my buoyancy has improved from the focus on basics but after talking 1 on 1 with Ed, B2 sounds like more of what I was expecting. Heavy focus on buddy teams, drills, bags, lines, finning, etc. No regrets, just hindsight. Just being in the water w/ Ed makes ppl better (well, if you pay attention at least).

When I had talked to Ed, it actually made sense why he requires B1 before B2. He said that by taking B1, it makes sure that everyone has had the same introduction. More importantly though, you develop quite a few fundamental skills during B1 that most divers don't inherently seem to have. By doing B1, it allows you to develop these skills before task loading with the buddy teams, drills, etc. It's more or less to prevent sensory overload at any given time so the skills are learned. Not just acquired.

Shane

sounds like more of what I was expecting. Heavy focus on buddy teams, drills, bags, lines, finning, etc. No regrets, just hindsight.

How is this not what we learn in GUE-F (other than lines)? Is B2 GUE-F lite? Is B2 something people take instead of GUE-F or in prep for GUE-F? Just curious.

How is this not what we learn in GUE-F (other than lines)? Is B2 GUE-F lite? Is B2 something people take instead of GUE-F or in prep for GUE-F? Just curious.

Wondering the same thing as I begin GUE-F tomorrow AM....

Chris, I'm glad you'll still be able to do the class. Hope you guys have a great time (we did). Seriously, go in with an open mind and the fun attitude your team seems to always have and you'll get a lot out of it. After the class, just go diving. It wasn't until a few months later I recognized the benefit of the training when I realized my diving was just a lot more fun with the increased skills, comfort and confidence.

had a great last class yesterday, and a really good conversation with Ed after. B2 I guess could be considered fundies-lite. Described as focusing on the skills mentioned, and an introduction to buddy teams. Same basic stuff as GUE-F but it's PADI and still done in a confined water situation so the intensity level is about 10 bars lower.

Have fun in class this week. I heard a little about the debacle getting it setup so I'm glad it's still happening. I'm not there yet but will be continuing to dive and looking forward to fundies in the future (maybe the fall, maybe next year). As you well know, Ed is an incredible teacher.

Same basic stuff as GUE-F but it's PADI and still done in a confined water situation so the intensity level is about 10 bars lower.

Oh, and Ed said he usually only runs the B2 class maybe twice/yr. Most ppl take B1 to start the training process, do some diving, then often take GUE-F to learn what they need to improve on and repeat until they pass.

Thanks.

Doing a lot of this in a pool could be very useful for some. Sounds though that IF someone is interested in pursuing GUE training, and IF that person has buoyancy pretty dialed away, stepping directly up to GUE-F (not B2) might be the way to go. That said, extra training with Ed is probably never a bad idea.

Thanks.

Sounds though that IF someone is interested in pursuing GUE training, and IF that person has buoyancy pretty dialed away, stepping directly up to GUE-F (not B2) might be the way to go.

that's my plan.

That said, extra training with Ed is probably never a bad idea.

I'm always just completely humbled seeing him and his team in the water. Everything is spotless. Glad I found him as a teacher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom