Anyone tried the FinClip yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the ladder we use in NJ and that last step is one of the reasons that I no longer dive doubles on NJ boats. Steel 100 with a 40 pony in a drysuit is more than I'm willing to drag up that ladder in heaving seas. Stuart is 100% correct regarding donning/doffing fins.

That's the ladder we use in NJ and that last step is one of the reasons that I no longer dive doubles on NJ boats. Steel 100 with a 40 pony in a drysuit is more than I'm willing to drag up that ladder in heaving seas. Stuart is 100% correct regarding donning/doffing fins.

100% ?? Really? You sure about that? Seems kinda absolute.

I use 5 operators in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter. The only operator who uses an open ladder for exiting with fins on is Jupiter Dive Center. For all the others, I pass my fins up in calm seas and put them on my wrists in heavy seas.

Another problem for me is that my boots fit snugly into my fins for less flop and drag. These things would just make the fit tighter and more clumsy.

I think the real question is how well they work when you're, you know, finning. I get the feeling they won't get in the way of bicycle kick... much.

Another problem for me is that my boots fit snugly into my fins for less flop and drag. These things would just make the fit tighter and more clumsy.

And I am not defending the product, however they are designed with a considerable amount of flexibility in terms of fit and tightness. I expect that once I use them, that they may need adjustment, just as standard straps require until you get them right.

I've been using bungees for several years. I've never lost a fin since I began using them and find them to be much easier to use than any spring straps I've had before. If anyone would like to donate funds to help me start my bungee fin business I take Paypal, VISA or cash. :)
dscf2972-jpg.397057.jpg

90400_1.jpg

I've never seen this done. Is it a special ladder (like the pic below)? How do you make that last step onto the boat, over where the ladder is mounted? Maybe it is offset away from the gunwale?

View attachment 450447

Yes, that is a fins-on ladder. At the last step, boat crew will often reach down and "help" your fin get up onto the dive deck, if you need it. My right foot is permanently impaired (drop-foot). So, I sometimes need that help myself.

A fins-off ladder is fine when the boat is only putting people in calm water. If there is potential for rough conditions, then I think it only makes sense to have a fins-on ladder. If you fall off the ladder and back into the water, you don't want to be in, and potentially away from the boat, in a current, with no fins on.

So, you don't want to try my double 120s and a 40 deco bottle? Come on, once you breathe everything down to 500psi it's a lot lighter! ;-)

I do always wonder how much at risk I/we put myself/ourselves at for DCS by having the exertion of climbing out in sporty conditions with all that weight on. I remember reading a post from one of the more experienced tech divers on here that talked about hanging out on the surface for a few minutes after getting to the surface and before getting out, for just that reason. Seems like a good idea. Just hang on the tag line and do some surface deco, as it were.

Back
Top Bottom