Anyone tried the FinClip yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibj40

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I got in on the ground floor, and reserved two sets under the initial crowdfunding program. That was in May 2016. They didn't meet their goal the first time around, and went back out into the market in February 2017, and I signed up again.

Got my two sets about a month ago, but since I didn't have a trip planned (plus, it is a pain in the ass to get my gear down from the top shelf of my garage), I waited until this past weekend to do anything with them.

The instructions and installation are clear and easy. I've tried them in my living room, and they do exactly what I had hoped. I have lower back issues, and it is difficult, hanging on a dive boat ladder, with a fully inflated BCD, to bend down and reach traditional clips. The Finclip seems to offer a solution, but I have not tried them in water, yet, and won't be able to for another month or so, but I am encouraged.

Has anyone else ordered, received, installed, and/or dove with the FinClip?

I want these but they cost $50.00 us per pair, so I would have to be diving more, or planning a Scuba trip. Planning a trip is on my list for this summer.

Yeah - for $50 I'll keep bending over. They wouldn't work for shore diving so well. Certainly not on Bonaire.

Last edited:
@Bubbles & @Kharon

In 1965 SCUBA Pro introduced the Jet Fin at $17,00 hard earned US dollars
(Check SCUBA Pro 1965 catalog page 17 bottom)
The other two SCUBA Pro fins, were $10.00 and $12.00 hard earned US dollars

Heathway's Rondine fins were $10.95 & $12.50
US Divers (now Aqua Lung) fins ranged from,$10.95 to $14.00
Sportsways from $8.95 to $14,95
Voit did not publish a price list

It is noted the Jet Fins were at least $2.00 more hard earned US dollars than its nearest competitor -- In 1965 $2.00 US Dollars was a significant amount of $$$$. To day $50.00 is almost an insignificant amount-- I don have nor will I need a pair of "Fin clips" but if I did I would not hesitate to purchase a pair

Initially the US diving world rejected the Jet fins-- but soon the caught on and after the passage of over 53 three years are still being produced and cherished by their owners and occasional users

At some time in the future I suspect the Fin Clip or an imitator will, like the Jet fins before them, will become a standard item for all divers.

SDM

My experience is just like yours - the fin clips work great in the living room!

Another month so so before they get wet. I got mine because I mostly boat dive and between my inflexibility issues and my motion sick issues ANYTHING I can do to help a little pays big dividends.

@Bubbles & @KharonTo day $50.00 is almost an insignificant amount

Perhaps to you. For someone on a fixed income and retired - maybe not true.

Personally, I can't think of why I would ever need/want them. Almost all my diving is from shore. FinClips won't work for me under the conditions I dive. It's just unwanted clutter on my fins.

Another problem for me is that my boots fit snugly into my fins for less flop and drag. These things would just make the fit tighter and more clumsy.

Moreover, I can't see them becoming mainstream. Young divers don't need them and the few older divers that have trouble with donning and doffing can get help on the boat or from their buddy. IMO it's a solution looking for a problem. We'll see.

The boats I dive most often tell you to put your fins on while you're sitting on your bench, before you put your arms through the BCD straps. Then, when you get out of the water, you leave your fins on, climb the ladder, turn away from the mate or DM, extend your feet back, one at a time, and they take your fins off for you.

So, the only time you have to reach your fins is when you're sitting, and don't have your BCD on yet.

The boats I dive most often tell you to put your fins on while you're sitting on your bench, before you put your arms through the BCD straps.

Yes, that is my experience too.

Then, when you get out of the water, you leave your fins on, climb the ladder, turn away from the mate or DM, extend your feet back, one at a time, and they take your fins off for you.

I've never seen this done. Is it a special ladder (like the pic below)? How do you make that last step onto the boat, over where the ladder is mounted? Maybe it is offset away from the gunwale?

19636.jpg

Fins off in the water at the ladder since I've been diving.

I have hip pain, and can’t really rotate my hip to reach my fins sitting down in boat with bcd on. In water is easy, since i am floating.

Back
Top Bottom