Anyone tried the FinClip yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I find the idea of walking around a wet deck of a rocking boat with tank and lead on in fins somewhat off-putting. Climbing a ladder with all that, even if the tank's empty, in a bit of a chop... maybe after I glue vibram outsoles to the foot pockets.

This may be slightly off topic, but may still be applicable to the FinClip. I understand the logic of donning the fins before the bcd if doing a backward roll, but I do not understand the rationale of some dive ops requesting donning the fins before walking to the back of the boat to do the giant stride. This has always seemed to be a falling accident waiting to happen, especially if the boat is moving around a bit. If knocked off balance it is a lot more difficult to recover with fins on, so I always politely tell the crew I will be donning my fins at the back of the boat. Yes I know, it may delay my entry by another 10 seconds, but I feel my safety, and those around me, is worth the slight delay. Many dive boats I have been on do not allow anyone to walk around the boat with fins on, and I have always wondered why the variance in procedures as to when to don the fins.

On that ladder? Yeah, I’m comfortable with saying 100%.

Yup, I thought you should have added that qualifier.

This may be slightly off topic, but may still be applicable to the FinClip. I understand the logic of donning the fins before the bcd if doing a backward roll, but I do not understand the rationale of some dive ops requesting donning the fins before walking to the back of the boat to do the giant stride. This has always seemed to be a falling accident waiting to happen, especially if the boat is moving around a bit. If knocked off balance it is a lot more difficult to recover with fins on, so I always politely tell the crew I will be donning my fins at the back of the boat. Yes I know, it may delay my entry by another 10 seconds, but I feel my safety, and those around me, is worth the slight delay. Many dive boats I have been on do not allow anyone to walk around the boat with fins on, and I have always wondered why the variance in procedures as to when to don the fins.

In the North East when you don your gear its done on the bench or box. This area is made for 1 or 2 people to get suited up. Then its a short 2 or 3 shuffle steps to the back or side of the boat to giant stride off. Our boats up here aren't very big and with all the gear and heavier tanks that are worn, it's made to be done is one shot the step off. Its not like the big vacation boats where everyone suits up and stands in line with fins in hand.

I've been using bungees for several years. I've never lost a fin since I began using them and find them to be much easier to use than any spring straps I've had before.

I switched to spring straps on advice from my LDS. They were easier than the original straps on my Aeris Velocity X3's. Then I got some Aeris Accel's. The strap on those has a toggle on top of the strap and they are extremely stretchy. Anyone want to buy a pair of spring straps?

I
This has always seemed to be a falling accident waiting to happen
I did fall after trying to walk to the back of the rocking boat with fins on, last dive. but
They're about a half inch or 12mm. It's very easy to remove them with one finger, yet they are secure enough to hold the fin steady in the water.
What kind of knot so you use to tie them to the metal bit on your fin? The strap on my pool fins just broke, providing me with an excellent opportunity to try this out in the pool for training. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom