Anyone using an integrated weight system with a BP & wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, but does anyone use the DUI weight harness with BP/W for warm water? It's great for cold water, but didn't know if any of the cold water folks used it on trips to the warmer latitudes.

On the limited number of warm water trips I've made (couple of liveaboards) I've taken my W&T and BP/W with me and been perfectly happy. I really don't have good luck with weight belts (let's say my body shape is not good at holding them in place) and in salt water with a 5 or 3mm full suit I still need enough weight where it makes sense. Doubly so since typically for warm water trips I end up having to use Aluminum tank instead of my usual steels.

I have always had problems with this. Integrated pockets never worked for me because during the dive, they slide down. I even used a special type of D-ring to keep them from sliding (weight stopper d ring that protrudes out) and even that got pushed down. I then switched to belt which is a Pain in the rear due to strap over strap issue that you mentioned. There are a lot of people here who have found ways around it but I am not one of them. For me the only option is a weight harness and that is on my purchase lit. If BCD has one dis-advantage over jacket then it is this.

I really like these: BC/Harness Weight Pocket
I use them on my rental and training rigs. They are made for bp/w. They have three belt loops. Two for the waist belt and one the shoulder strap goes through to hold it tight to the backplate. Top load with bottom dump.

I bought and tried this, and my review is below:

BC/Harness Weight Pocket

I like many things about the Scubatude BC weight pocket -- an inner pouch is provided to hold all the weights that go in the pocket; the top-loading, bottom release makes it easy to don, and a strap on the inner pouch makes it easy to take out of the pocket; the velcro pad is nice and large, one feels that it would not release on its own if you forgot to attach the buckle. I like the size (width) of the slots that the harness slides through -- even large harness belts will go through (unlike the XS Scuba weight pockets). There is a slot to pass the shoulder strap thorough to keep the pocket in place (didn't try this yet).

The only issue I have --- which is a big one -- is that I could not release the clip with my left hand, not even with dry gloves and standing on the surface. I could barely do the right one. Admittedly, the chance that I would have to use this are small -- but that is the reason I bought them. For now, these are the best weight pockets that I could find. And I am determined to have releaseable weight. so I am going with these until I find a better solution. Next try might be a weight harness but I hate the idea of having yet another harness on top of my drysuit.

I could not release the clip with my left hand, not even with dry gloves and standing on the surface.

Is there a chance you could tolerate going to a 3mm wet glove? If so, would that help?

I think you are backwards. If mounted as intended for the XS WB101QR you pull the tab down which peels a large velcro latch free and the weight falls out the bottom. They mount right side up, which is the lettering up as you would read it. I have been using these for two years now and no issues. They are intended for up to five pounds per unit. I have carried five pounds in them, no problem, I feel certain they would be fine with seven pounds each. They do not open in use and are actually quite secure. Much more so than the DR 16 pound pockets also have which I had to modify to keep them from spilling the weight out.

N

DR has redesigned these pockets, their solution to the issue you experienced was to install a velcro 'overflap' to prevent weight pockets from flopping out.

DR has redesigned these pockets, their solution to the issue you experienced was to install a velcro 'overflap' to prevent weight pockets from flopping out.

Thanks for that information. That would probably cure the problem. I do not see that in the photos?

N

---------- Post added December 25th, 2013 at 11:23 PM ----------

I have always had problems with this. Integrated pockets never worked for me because during the dive, they slide down. I even used a special type of D-ring to keep them from sliding (weight stopper d ring that protrudes out) and even that got pushed down. I then switched to belt which is a Pain in the rear due to strap over strap issue that you mentioned. There are a lot of people here who have found ways around it but I am not one of them. For me the only option is a weight harness and that is on my purchase lit. If BCD has one dis-advantage over jacket then it is this.

The DR pockets can be secure using a keeper and locking the rear plastic ring of the pouch through it. Other types of pockets like the XS or similar can be locked using the serrated metal or plastic keepers and inner tube. The inner tube provides additional friction and the XS pockets, at least, cannot get over the keeper, especially the plastic keepers. As well, since the knife acts as an additional stop on the right side and on the left, the harness buckle should be far left on a Hog rig and acts as a stop as well.

bpx_zps0d5c6b0b.jpg

In this reference diagram, my XS QR pockets on the right side go in place of the can light canister and on the left hip behind the D ring keeper. I use inner tube that is slid on to the harness and the pouches slide over that which helps add the needed friction to prevent them from moving. Mine do not move. BTW, I have a D ring on the right hip, non compliant with some people but I use it and like it there, and it too helps secure the right hip weight pocket.

N

Thanks Travis, I have the same issue with belts so I was weighing just taking my W&T - and from a travel perspective, it's just a little bulk with little extra weight.

I bought and tried this, and my review is below:

BC/Harness Weight Pocket

I like many things about the Scubatude BC weight pocket -- an inner pouch is provided to hold all the weights that go in the pocket; the top-loading, bottom release makes it easy to don, and a strap on the inner pouch makes it easy to take out of the pocket; the velcro pad is nice and large, one feels that it would not release on its own if you forgot to attach the buckle. I like the size (width) of the slots that the harness slides through -- even large harness belts will go through (unlike the XS Scuba weight pockets). There is a slot to pass the shoulder strap thorough to keep the pocket in place (didn't try this yet).

The only issue I have --- which is a big one -- is that I could not release the clip with my left hand, not even with dry gloves and standing on the surface. I could barely do the right one. Admittedly, the chance that I would have to use this are small -- but that is the reason I bought them. For now, these are the best weight pockets that I could find. And I am determined to have releaseable weight. so I am going with these until I find a better solution. Next try might be a weight harness but I hate the idea of having yet another harness on top of my drysuit.

Thank you for that review. You may trying opening and closing the release a few times to loosen it up. Also, I find it easier to position my hand with my thumb facing forward and fingers facing back. Give that a try. If there is a "problem" with the buckle, please let me know so I can take care of that for you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom