AOW right after OWD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... which would be great if that's what AOW actually prepared you for. Some do ... most don't.
My point being that it should. I know reality can be a bitch sometimes, but I find it funny how some folks argue that it's totally ok, and even to be expected, that a diver holding an AOW card isn't really an "advanced" diver in any sense or meaning of the word. Kinda defeats the purpose of it, doesn't it.

It is assessed on a daily basis in several large resorts around the world. Its pretty damn controversial on this board, but its called checkout dives..
Its not perfect, but its a whole lot better than dumping people in at random

you're implying that no matter how many dives i have i should go through a checkout dive before i am allowed to dive, or am i reading it wrong?

For decades, agencies have been advising students to maintain log books detailing their experience. Go figure... :wink:

did you read Tigerman's post that my reply pertained to? cause he said "Neither certs nor number of dives by themselves give much clue as to a divers actual experience"....so then what's the use of keeping a logbook?

"Neither certs nor number of dives by themselves give much clue as to a divers actual experience"....so then what's the use of keeping a logbook?

Logbooks are more than just "number of dives". They (can) contain a wealth of illustrative information about the diver's specific experience.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2013 at 09:59 PM ----------

You write "AOW", then talk about "Advanced Diver". So... what do you think AOW stands for? And why do you only focus on the first word of that title?

You write "AOW", then talk about "Advanced Diver". So... what do you think AOW stands for? And why do you only focus on the first word of that title?
I don't. I'm type lazy. Everybody knows (I hope) what we're talking about here.

However, the only difference between OWD and AOWD is the "A". So you'd expect that an AOWD is "advanced" is some sense or another when compared to an OWD. But lots of people are saying that they're not. :confused6:

Logbooks are more than just "number of dives". They (can) contain a wealth of illustrative information about the diver's specific experience.

i have yet to have anyone ask me for my logbook, and yes, i do keep one...all they ask every time is "when was your last dive" and sometimes how many i have.

a diver holding an AOW card isn't really an "advanced" diver in any sense or meaning of the word. Kinda defeats the purpose of it, doesn't it.

Maybe I'm confused... but you seem to be saying it 'defeats the purpose' of AOW if the diver isn't an Advanced Diver? Or am I reading it wrong?

Why should Advanced Open Water make someone an Advanced Diver?

'Open Water' being a specific term applied to entry-level training, wheras 'Diver' encompasses the entire spectrum of sub-aqua activities...

When I have an above average OW student... I'll say "Hey, he's a really good open water diver". Nobody gets confused and thinks I'm stating he's a world-class diver. So, why does this happen with something so simple as the AOW course title?

Maybe I'm confused... but you seem to be saying it 'defeats the purpose' of AOW if the diver isn't an Advanced Diver? Or am I reading it wrong?

Why should Advanced Open Water make someone an Advanced Diver?

'Open Water' being a specific term applied to entry-level training, wheras 'Diver' encompasses the entire spectrum of sub-aqua activities...

When I have an above average OW student... I'll say "Hey, he's a really good open water diver". Nobody gets confused and thinks I'm stating he's a world-class diver. So, why does this happen with something so simple as the AOW course title?
Oh god... I'm terribly sorry if my leaving out of "open water" in my post has confused you. Please insert those words in your head while reading my post again.

i have yet to have anyone ask me for my logbook, and yes, i do keep one...all they ask every time is "when was your last dive" and sometimes how many i have.

You experience...and the attentiveness (or lack of) of dive operations you've encountered are not a yardstick by which to judge the merits of logbook inspection as a gauge of experience.

Hypothetically, if someone did inspect your logbook... what would they learn about your diving experience? Would it help them gauge your preparedness for specific dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom