AOW right after OWD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree.

If you look at your logbook as a record of your trophies (dives), then you probably don't have much detail. But, if you look at your logbook as an aid to improve your diving, you will probably have a lot of detail. I like to track SAC vs. water temperature and work load as well as a number of other details. I have a couple different styles of tanks (Al & steel, single and doubles) as well as the occasional stage and deco cylinders. I have a couple of different exposure suits that weight differently. I also like to document good photo ops and potential hazards in particular dive locations. I can use all this data to more thoroughly prepare for future dives and improve my diving.

The information you enter into your log tells people a lot about your approach to diving.

My logbook is mostly data ... the comments section is usually pretty terse. I don't look at my logbook as an aid to improving my diving ... I go diving to improve my diving.

On the other hand, one of my favorite dive buddies writes novelettes ... complete with drawings, maps and stickers. I can go back a year later and completely relive a dive through her descriptive text ... including a complete log of what marine life we encountered during the dive. But I don't think she's doing it to improve her diving either (she's a kick-ass diver already) ... she just likes to keep a thorough record of the dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The information you enter into your log tells people a lot about your approach to diving.

I think this is true for low dive count divers. I recorded a lot of detail in my first couple hundred dives. I don't record much detail at all any more, unless there was something really exciting and notable about the dive, or I'm using some equipment configuration that is different, so I might want to look back to how much weight it required, and where I put it.

I think this is true for low dive count divers. I recorded a lot of detail in my first couple hundred dives. I don't record much detail at all any more, unless there was something really exciting and notable about the dive, or I'm using some equipment configuration that is different, so I might want to look back to how much weight it required, and where I put it.

Then why log dives?

Then why log dives?

My first log-book (~100 dives) simply because I was an eager beaver. When I enrolled on DM course, I realized that logged dives are necessary as a prerequisite. That saw me logging dives up to ~500 dives, but with little detail or enthusiasm. I had more than enough then to take me to Course Director (270 dives), if I wanted, so I stopped buying new logbooks. I then switched to a digital logbook (SDM) for a while, but was too lazy...especially when diving 3-5 times per day when working in Thailand. Hard-drive crashed, I lost the lot. :dork2:

Then I only logged technical dives (still needed those as prerequisites for further training. Got bored with that too after a while.. the interesting dives were 'recorded' via photos or videos on my blog etc. Personal recommendations/references have got me onto courses/dives/expeditions etc since then...

I like to keep track of my air consumption per

---------- Post added May 4th, 2013 at 01:25 AM ----------

Oops..

I like to keep track of my air consumption to see how much of a difference my different set ups make and also work loads etc. also its interesting to see how much ive improved and how much more i can. Down to 8.5L/min at surface.

Then why log dives?

... because I want to ... it's the only truly legitimate reason why anyone should log dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... because I want to ... it's the only truly legitimate reason why anyone should log dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's one perspective. Perceptions are really only valid when supported by facts (data). Continuous improvement is achieved through analyzing what we know to be real (logged data), rather than what we think is real (memory of past dives). You may think all is well, but then see a trend in your dive performance data that indicates otherwise. Trends will appear in performance data long before they are perceived by a diver. It's akin to watching a video of yourself, you'll see patterns over time that you didn't feel were true when you were in the water.

One regularly hears experienced divers say that they're always learning. But how is that occurring if they're no longer paying close attention to their dives? The approach that says "I've got thousands of dives, I don't need to know details anymore" is an indication of complacency.

So, if you're not using your logbook to do anything more than record your trophies, or to meet agency experience requirements for training, why bother to log dives?

I log my dives so that I can go back and say, "Yes, that's the day I dove with "x", or dove "y" site." My primary number collection is cave dives, because there are a couple of recognition awards I'd like to put in for when I can.

Honestly, with over 1000 dives at this point, I really don't need to record my weight or gear configuration (which hasn't changed in a number of years) or my SAC rate (which is also pretty darned predictable).

I like to keep track of how much diving I am doing, how much dry time I end up with, and how many dives I do at certain sites, so I can make sure I don't get too insular.

That's one perspective. Perceptions are really only valid when supported by facts (data). Continuous improvement is achieved through analyzing what we know to be real (logged data), rather than what we think is real (memory of past dives). You may think all is well, but then see a trend in your dive performance data that indicates otherwise. Trends will appear in performance data long before they are perceived by a diver. It's akin to watching a video of yourself, you'll see patterns over time that you didn't feel were true when you were in the water.

One regularly hears experienced divers say that they're always learning. But how is that occurring if they're no longer paying close attention to their dives? The approach that says "I've got thousands of dives, I don't need to know details anymore" is an indication of complacency.

So, if you're not using your logbook to do anything more than record your trophies, or to meet agency experience requirements for training, why bother to log dives?

Logs serve many different purposes for different people. Some people don't log at all, and I really understand that for people that have hundreds or thousands of dives. It does get pretty redundant after a while. I download my computer into an electronic log. I enter my tank and review my SAC rate. I also record dive location ( but not specific dive site), what boat and who my buddy was. I don't bother putting my weight because I know what it is for various configurations. I don't record anything else about my dive. I have zero interest in reviewing details of old dives. Mostly I just want to know my total dive number and where those dives are. If others want to record more, then more power to them. And if someone doesn't want to log at all no big deal to me. One of my regular buddies, a DM, doesn't log dives, it doesn't change how our dives go.

I admire the person that will go the extra mile and add drawings and detailed information on each dive. I log my dives and get the DM to sign off on dives. I take the information from my computer and put it on my paper log. The majority of places I have been have stamps for my paper log book, I like looking at them. I write the date, dive site, boat, dive master and buddy name. I also write the statistics for the dive, beg and end PSI, equipment used, my interpretation of current and visibility. Very briefly what, if any, new critters I saw. Not a lot of detail but enough for me. Why do I do it? Because I want to. I don't do my paper log book for anybody but me. If you want to see it I will be glad to show it to you. If not, it's no skin off of my nose.

Back
Top Bottom